Large white spots getting larger

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jonh5188

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a black convict cichlid that is having an unknown illness and I'm unsure how to help him. He's around 3 1/2 years old and he is in a 46 gallon tank by himself. Ammonia and nitrite are 0, nitrate is 5.0, ph is 7.4, and temperature is 80 degrees.

There is an area at the base of his fin that has swollen within the last month. I've tried aquarium salt, melafix, pimafix, metro+, and prazipro over the course of the past few weeks but nothing seems to help him. There are also these white growths that seem to be rapidly growing, and i'm not sure what it is. It actually looks like it is swollen because of the white stuff, like it pushed up under the skin. I'm wondering if it is some type of virus or a fungus. I thought it might be parasites but the metro+ and prazipro didn't seem to have any impact on him. He will still eat but not as much as he usually does. I think the swollen area might be bothering his gill. He also doesn't swim around as much since that fin is bothering him.

Does anyone know what's wrong with my fish?

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    153.7 KB · Views: 97
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 86
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 89
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg