large white spots or bumps on cherry barbs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

catriona

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I got my cherry barbs from the fish store and introduced them in to my tank with 20 other fish. I have a 50 gallon tank with neons, fantom tetras,guppies, a sucker fish and some gold neon looking fish. All my other fish look fine except for the cherry barbs.The spots are not small and don't look like salt sprinkls or specs like ich. The spots look like bumps on some and flat white pattches on others only cherry's have it. What is it?
THANX CATRIONA

ick {cherry barb's with large white bumps}

What dose the treatment for ich do to the watter and i should treat the infected fish and the whole aquarium with the other fish without any signs of infection so they don't get it later?
THANX CATRIONA

Yeah the other fish can get it. Most people on here dont use meds for ICK, they use heat. Turning the heat gradually up to 87-88 deg F then leaving it that high for ~2weeks after the symptoms are gone is what many people do.

Now if you have colder water fish or even shrimp I'm not sure what the best way to treat it is?

Threads merged together as they are about the same incident.
Ich usually doesn't have large bumps. Can you get a pic? Ich looks like grains of salt on the fish, tiny white bumps. You may have a fungus or bacteria rather than ich.

Shrimp will be fine with the heat treatment. Cold water fish require meds unfortunately.

In addition to the above described heat method you should add an extra air stone or lower the water level a bit to increase splash. You must leave the heat up for 2 weeks after the last spot of ich is gone.

Last edited:
white bumps cherry barbs

I dont have a picture i am not shure if a close up picture through the glass would help and i haven't lost any cherry's yet to picture dead. I looked all over the internet and read the entire sera desease e book from there site it has microscope vews and detaild descriptions. NOTHING looks like the white patches and when the fish is faceing me i can see that it is rased like a bump but could also look like ick if ick was larger or clumps together? or could look like fungus.Some patches aren't whit yet and look like rased bumps under the scales.
catriona:confused:

Does not sound like ich. Ich is small spots like grains of salt. It never looks like large patches even when grouped together. I would consider some treatment for starters with melafix and pimafix.

Back
Top Bottom