Leech in new tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Jessica - thanks; I'm going to call the vet later to see if she will/can sell me some. If I can get it, I'll, keep it on standby - still fingers-crossed that these are crud-eaters only. If I need to add it, what dosage should I use and would it be best to leave plants/décor in there to treat them as well?

JLK - I'm not using any external ammonia source (impossible to find here on Tatooine...). My levels have got quite high naturally, and was thinkng of dropping a shrimp in there if needed. The eggs sacks were pretty gross when popped & didn't realise I had a small cut on my arm BEFORE scrubbing down with bleach! OOOOOWWWW!!! Adding injury to insult, I think, lol. I'll keep this post updated as/when things develop; seems this is quite a unique "infestation", so hopefully this newbie might be able to teach the community something ;)

I heard that mini Puffers eat leeches; is this correct? If so, uber-win for me, as that's what I wanted to stock with when the tank was ready. And also Clown Loaches - I think I read these eat them as well? If there are organic control measures, that would be perfect if needed.

Your vet likely can give you levamisole but I am not sure how effective it would be against leeches. An insecticide is the only known thing to kill them. A DTHP (organophosphate insecticide) product such as Clout/Lifebearer or Dimilin (another type of insecticide) or Cyropro (another type of insecticide) are known to kill the adults but as I mentioned, nothing kills the eggs so need to continue treatment for awhile to kill any new hatchlings. I dont keep tropicals but I am sure others can offer suggestions in respect to the fish your considering. A natural approach (such as fish control of the leeches or leech traps) is always preferred. :)

Thanks again JLK - didn't get chance to call the vet, but will try tomorrow. Still hoping I can get my mini puffers though! No sign of any of the little versions tonight, nor any more egg sacks. I'm due a PWC on Friday, so will brave opening the filter as well...will update if anything leaps out to suck my face off, lol.

I read somewhere that putting a penny in the filter could work, but would clearly spike copper levels to a dangerous high; would this be dangerous for plants as well as fish, and would subsequent PWCs reduce these levels prior to adding stock?

I have heard of the copper penny story before and I honestly think its just a myth until I see scientific proof stating otherwise. I would skip it though just to be on the safe side. :)

Back
Top Bottom