Leeches???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PoppaRyno

Aquarium Advice Addict
So i have found these lil boogers on the bottom of a piece of slate. No clue what they are, but thinking leeches... Another has said "thinking leeches" .... If so, what do i do???

I have never dealt with this before. So any thoughts are welcome. All fish seem fine. No marks, scales arent missing, no flashing/rubbing on anything. No odd behaviour on the loaches. Assasin snails seem fine. Havent seen any more at all. I would like to move the fish, but its a pair of discus with newly attaching free swimmers... So hopefully you can see my issue with a transfer....

Any ideas at all?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Also.... this tank has been up and running, problem free, for years. I do daily 10% WC, 50% WC on weds, 70% on sun. Levels are all in check.

Don't sweat them.
Can't say what brought them on or where they come from but look into FW slugs.
The whole trick is in wording searches.
So on the other side of the world(marine) there are many sea slugs,or "stomatella" that are of no big deal.
Being a breeder I would with no more knowledge then you, say calmly remove them ..all.
In breeding tanks I have no need for clean up crew like in fry tanks.

I have 0 idea how they got there. I havent added anything yrs. Some stuff im reading says to strip the tank and dispose of everything. Then sterilize, then bleach, then vinegar, before even thinking abt restarting it. This makes me nervous.

I will repeat ...
Don't sweat it.
You can treat anytime and remove fish whenever.
I know you like me have wiggle room.
I would kill them(squash with finger nail or H2o2) just for good measure.
They should be NO THREAT to fry but to eggs on a rock/terracotta dish ??????
I question my MTS and they go if my eggs are in question.

Thanks coral.... What are the chances there are lots more? My guess is pretty good chances? How would i treat for this? The reason i removed slate was because i thought they were diatom algae on it.

Like a flat worm Planaria you can treat if it is a serious issue for you with liquid Goat Dewormer aka Fenbendazole. The liquid is great to use instead of granules because it is already suspended in liquid, whereas granules are somewhat more difficult to emulsify in liquid. It is 100ml suspension and therefore easier to dose.

I believe the same med SELECTIVELY used when you have flatworms in SW (and FW).

**This can kill some corals and Starfish, etc. btw so not to be used without thorough research on dosage and what other critters you have in a tank. If used in a stronger dosage likely kill snails and other tiny FW critters like shrimp.

Experimental treatment - do your own research and use at your own risk.

Fenbendazole - I have successfully used this stuff in my shrimp tanks (2 tanks) and had excellent results. Properly dosed, with shrimp and pond and RH snails. I got mine at a local Veterinary Farm Supply store.

No personal use of this vendor/ seller but this is the stuff.
http://www.amazon.com/Durvet-Safeguard-Goat-Dewormer-125ml/dp/B000HHLVB8

This was interesting - again not recommending anyone or any thing.
My pond has leeches! How do I get rid of them? | Ponds & Lakes Q&A | The Pond Guy's Blog

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom