Lemon Tetra - Bent Spine

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

eternal_irony

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Around a week or two ago I noticed that one of my lemons has developed a bent spine. I did a bit of research and really scared myself a bit (my never Google your symptoms rule will now apply to my fish).

He has no other symptoms, he's swimming fine, eating well, no loss of colour or wounds.

I did have an alge outbreak following a nitrate spike while I was on holiday around a month ago so I'm not sure if that could have caused it.

I'm just worried it could be contagious, so far none of my other fish are showing any symptoms and all my parameters are back to normal.

Sorry for the blurry pic, he wouldn't stay still.20200109_193344.jpeg

He more than likely will be fine just different looking. Most of the time these things are caused by poor fish breeders doing to much inbreeding. Then fish start having these types of defects.

Definitely keep an eye out for additional symptoms that may indicate it’s a contagious issue but I have had several tetras look like that. I agree there is a good chance you’re just looking at an inbeeeding defect. In my experience those fish sometimes do have shortened lifespans but that wouldn’t be contagious.

Like SarahB said if you want to be extra cautious and you have an extra tank you could separate him for a while and ensure no other symptoms develop

Back
Top Bottom