Lethargic betta at the top of water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Allnight

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I got this betta the other day. I took him out of his cup and put him in a gallon spring water bottle for two days. He was pretty active swimming around. I didn't have a heater and one morning my apartment got down to 60 degrees and the next morning it was 58. The last two days he's been in a new 10 gallon aquarium with about six gallons in it by himself with a heater that started at 80-82 degrees and is now dropped down to 78. The only thing in there besides him is the water and heater. The water is chlorine treated tap water. The first day in the tank he swam around quite a bit. The last day though he has been sitting on the top of the tank. The first day I didn't have the top on the tank. The second day The top was on with the lights on part of the day. I haven't punched out the plastic part for the fliter yet. I though maybe there wasn't enough oxygen in the tank with the top only having small holes mainly where the heater goes though. Then I though maybe the lights were making him hot. I took the top off and nothing has changed the last 1/2 day. I don't notice his gills moving like when he was in the spring bottle. At one point he was curled up 1/2 way on his side and I though he was dead. I taped the glass and thankfully he started to swim.

Maybe things will change, but if anyone thinks there's something I can do to help him we'd both appreciate it. This is my first fish. I bought him on a whim, but I had been reading about how to keep fish recently.

What is your tank levels?

When he is at the top is he breathing heavily?

I don't have water testing equipment yet. He's been in new water for 2-3 days. There is no filter going but there's about 6 gallons in the tank.

That's the weird thing: I don't notice his gills moving. When he was in the gallon bottle I would see his gills moving. He sits there motionless and might occasionally breath from the air on the top of the tank. If I move my finger across the tank he will look at me and might swim.

Without knowing the water chemistry not much I can say except trying increasing the surface agitation by using a small air stone so there is more oxygen in the water

You say he is in chlorine treated tap water. Do you mean it is straight tap water or that you treated the tap water with a treatment such as prime or a water conditioner

I'll pick up a kit and test it today. I just figured a 1 inch Betta in 6 gallons would have lots of oxygen. The top of the tank has probably 1.5 sq ft of surface area. I'm thinking maybe his gills aren't working well?

If the surface of the water isn't moving the oxygen has a much harder time diffusing into the water.

Yeah that makes sense, but I've heard filters and supplemental aeration aren't necessary with Bettas, even in bowls.

That is true seeing as the have the ability to breath from the air. Take some water to the store as have them test it or get a test kit

You say there is nothing in the tank as far as plants (real or silk) or caves? That could be part of his issue. They like to have things to swim through, rest on & hide in. Has the tank temp stabilized in the range of 78-80F?

Since you haven't cycled your tank, it may be an ammonia spike. I would change 50% of the water now (decholor water) and change 25% a day until he perks up again. Go get an test kit.

Thankfully I came home the next day and he seems fine. Yeah I'm going to get him some plants, sand and maybe a cave soon. It can probably be stressful always being in the open. At least I'm not home much.

When I got back home the next day he seemed normal! Does this test kit look okay Amazon.com: API 5 in 1 Aquarium Test Strips: Pet Supplies ? If not I'd love a recommendation.

Strips aren't very accurate you would be better with the API liquid test kit (more expensive but worth the while) the one that involves all the bottles and test tubes (not that complicated though its not like a science lesson at school)

What readings are important? I'm assuming nitrates. I figure ph isn't that important to a betta, but I might add some shrimp, probably cherry, and maybe one more fish once the tank is setup and the water is more established.

My Betta is pretty little. The cherry shrimp might steal his wallet! No but I figured if he eats them no big deal.

What readings are important? I'm assuming nitrates. I figure ph isn't that important to a betta, but I might add some shrimp, probably cherry, and maybe one more fish once the tank is setup and the water is more established.

Ammonia nitrites and nitrates ph is useful to know if you intend on adding anything else like shrimp as you said

My Betta is pretty little. The cherry shrimp might steal his wallet! No but I figured if he eats them no big deal.

It's a big deal to the Shrimp :(
Bettas have a large mouth for their size and if the can't eat them, they may pick them apart or harass them to death.

I own Cherries aka RCS as pets, so I really enjoy mine. My Betta has his own planted 5.5g with a Nerite.

Back
Top Bottom