Lethargic betta in my community tank, age or illness?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

libertybelle

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a betta in my 29 gallon community tank. He has always been extremely docile, though active. Over time, though he has no specific symptoms, he has become more and more lethargic. He does not look sick, and it just seems like he is getting old. I have had him for a couple of years and he was fully grown (or very nearly so) when i purchased him.

These days he spends most of the day resting on the java moss or his floating log.he moves from spot to spot ocassionally but thats about it. This has not been a sudden change, just a gradual decrease in energy over the months.

is it normal for bettas to become lethargic at this age (probably over 3 years) Would it be helpful to move him to his own 5 gallon tank where he wouldnt be stressed by the activity of the other fish?

I think they slow down as they age, just like we do. If he's been successful in this tank, and none of the other fish are hassling him, I think I'd probably leave him be - unless he's having difficulty surfacing for his gulp of air.

I suspected as much, but was unsure if around 3-4 years was too young for these kinds of symptoms to be due to age alone. I had read online that betta's do not live that long, but they are so often kept in such terrible conditions i thought i might not be getting an accurate sampling.

He seemed so bored in his own little 5 gallon when he was younger, and he has floating plants and decor that he likes to sit in to be closer to the surface sometimes. So perhaps I will leave him where he is...

I welcome any other advice/experiences, I have little experience with bettas.

Uh oh

Things have deteriorated quite a bit for my poor beta. I moved him to his own five gallon for easier air access and hopefully less stress from all of the activity of the tetras. now that i can see him closer (recently he has taken to hiding in the plants/moss all the time so i couldnt really see him well) I have noticed his fins have developed a couple little pinholes and look generally ragged. More worrisome is his difficulty swimming. His vision doesnt appear to be very good either. I hadnt seen him eat in some time but i have been hopng that when I fed the tank he was getting something, but when i tried to feed him in the smaller tank, he would make dives at the food but constantly miss. He doesnt look emaciated but he cant be eating much if he cant find the food.

Im really at a loss for what to do for him.

Any ideas!?

Back
Top Bottom