Lethargic Cory

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GuppyLover

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a peppered cory and he looks lethargic to me. My parameters are fine and he is healthy other wise. I can't find any bottom feeder wafers so he gets wardleys algea wafers.

Your Corydoras

Good morning Guppy...

A small water change of 10 to 15 percent, should perk up the Cory. When you can, pick up a couple of different kinds of algae wafers. Hikari and Tetra have some very good ones.

I have Corys with my Fancy Guppies and notice the fish are a lot more active with a little new water and a different treat in the tank.

B

rich311k said:
What size tank? Does he have friends in there with him?

BBradbury-Thanks, Today is my water change day and I will stop by petsmart and grab a few diffrent brands.

Rich 311k- He is in a 20g and he has not other cory friends. I could pick up another though.

Corydoras

BBradbury-Thanks, Today is my water change day and I will stop by petsmart and grab a few diffrent brands.

Rich 311k- He is in a 20g and he has not other cory friends. I could pick up another though.

Hello again Guppy...

Bravo on rich311k's reply! Didn't realize you had only one in your tank. If you're interested, the standard for stocking Corydoras is one per five gallons of tank size. These little guys are very social and prefer others of their kind in the tank. The different varieties all seem to get along well. I have three kinds in one of my tanks.

A 20 G is a little small, some Corys can approach three inches long. Some of mine are close to that size, but I have them in larger tanks.

Two or three Albino Corys may be an option if you can't get another Pepper. My Albinos are all fairly small.

B

BBradbury said:
Hello again Guppy...

Bravo on rich311k's reply! Didn't realize you had only one in your tank. If you're interested, the standard for stocking Corydoras is one per five gallons of tank size. These little guys are very social and prefer others of their kind in the tank. The different varieties all seem to get along well. I have three kinds in one of my tanks.

A 20 G is a little small, some Corys can approach three inches long. Some of mine are close to that size, but I have them in larger tanks.

Two or three Albino Corys may be an option if you can't get another Pepper. My Albinos are all fairly small.

B

The albinos around here are like 3 or 4 inches and the peppereds get to around 2. My petsmart sells them as juveniles at about half and inch to an inch. I had started a thread before about adding more and they said to add 3 or 4 more smaller species but I recently got a GBR and wasnt sure if I could add any.

Corydoras

Good morning Guppy...

Wow! Never heard of a Cory getting to four inches long. I've had some for years and they don't get long, just rounder. My Albinos are all about an inch and a half and a couple are almost two years old.

I'm not very comfortable with maintaining tanks less than 30 Gs, my water change schedule really isn't often enough to keep the water as clean as needed. Most of my tanks are 55s. They're a lot more forgiving if I don't get to my water changes on a regular basis. I have a lot of plants in my tanks which allows me a little water change flexibility.

B

julii corys are awesome corys and would school with the peppered. here's your problem your GBR might have problems with corys so i'd watch for aggression but id add atleast 3-4 more corys but have a backup plan

allaboutfish said:
julii corys are awesome corys and would school with the peppered. here's your problem your GBR might have problems with corys so i'd watch for aggression but id add atleast 3-4 more corys but have a backup plan

Really? My little GBR loves Onyx, as does my female angel. What would cause aggresion between the Cory and GBR? I also have my dumb CAE in there (but you know that already) who picks on my poor cory. The GBR is young though, only about and inch long.

BBradbury said:
Good morning Guppy...

Wow! Never heard of a Cory getting to four inches long. I've had some for years and they don't get long, just rounder. My Albinos are all about an inch and a half and a couple are almost two years old.

I'm not very comfortable with maintaining tanks less than 30 Gs, my water change schedule really isn't often enough to keep the water as clean as needed. Most of my tanks are 55s. They're a lot more forgiving if I don't get to my water changes on a regular basis. I have a lot of plants in my tanks which allows me a little water change flexibility.

B

The bronze, emerald, and albinos get crazy big at my LFS's. Someone on here told me that the peppereds are supposed to get big. I also have gravel and I hear its bad for there barbels.

I'm not very good about that either, I couldnt imagine having anything smaller .

Back
Top Bottom