Lethargic Fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lemkom

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I purchased a comet goldfish about three weeks ago and committed the cardinal sin of putting him into a 1 gallon tank kit recommended to me by the folks at Petco (trust me, it's not where the pets go). About two weeks in, I realized my fish wasn't swimming around as much or if he was, he would twist and turn rapidly.

I then went to the forums for help and I put him into a nursing tank, which was a bucket larger than the tank kit I had and then I purchased a twenty gallon tank, a 20-50 gallon three tiered filtration system, organic gravel, and I started to feed him peas because I noticed he started just hanging around at the top, fins clamped and just floating around. I even purchased the API freshwater master testing kit to test the water myself.

I perform the daily 20% water changes with SeaChem Prime, I check the ph, ammonia, nitrate and nitrite levels at the same time every day (after the pwc), I don't overfeed him, I just feed him tiny bits three times a day (peas in the morning and at night and a smidge of flakes when I get home) and I noticed his poop doesn't float, isn't overly stringy and is the same color as his food, though last night he had a really stringy one. He still floats at the surface and has a tendency to kind of look like he's gasping for air. Though, when I look at him from the top, I never see his mouth actually touch the surface, it's still under the water, but just barely.

Since I live in a coastal area, my ph levels are naturally high, about 7.8 at every tap I check and in the tank it's about the same. The ammonia is about 0.1 ppm, nitrate and nitrite are at 0.

Another site told me to get rid of the filter altogether and use a pond pump with a sponge filter attached to it because any bubbles in the water are bad for the fish and they told me to shut off my filter. Now, I haven't shut off my filter, but I only use the sponge filter and bio balls, not the carbon. I put in live bacteria with the pwc, I work the water over as much as possible before I put it into the tank, and I slowly add the water to make sure he doesn't go all crazy. I vacuum the gravel as best I can each time the water is changed, and still he floats along the top. Even when he sleeps, he floats at the top.

When I first purchased him, he would sleep at the bottom, by the rocks. Since he started to seem ill, he's slept at the top. I also notice a few scales are missing and he colors don't look as bright as before. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I can't afford to invest any more money at this point, since everything has cost me a few hundred as it is. Thanks!

Lemkom said:
I purchased a comet goldfish about three weeks ago and committed the cardinal sin of putting him into a 1 gallon tank kit recommended to me by the folks at Petco (trust me, it's not where the pets go). About two weeks in, I realized my fish wasn't swimming around as much or if he was, he would twist and turn rapidly.

I then went to the forums for help and I put him into a nursing tank, which was a bucket larger than the tank kit I had and then I purchased a twenty gallon tank, a 20-50 gallon three tiered filtration system, organic gravel, and I started to feed him peas because I noticed he started just hanging around at the top, fins clamped and just floating around. I even purchased the API freshwater master testing kit to test the water myself.

I perform the daily 20% water changes with SeaChem Prime, I check the ph, ammonia, nitrate and nitrite levels at the same time every day (after the pwc), I don't overfeed him, I just feed him tiny bits three times a day (peas in the morning and at night and a smidge of flakes when I get home) and I noticed his poop doesn't float, isn't overly stringy and is the same color as his food, though last night he had a really stringy one. He still floats at the surface and has a tendency to kind of look like he's gasping for air. Though, when I look at him from the top, I never see his mouth actually touch the surface, it's still under the water, but just barely.

Since I live in a coastal area, my ph levels are naturally high, about 7.8 at every tap I check and in the tank it's about the same. The ammonia is about 0.1 ppm, nitrate and nitrite are at 0.

Another site told me to get rid of the filter altogether and use a pond pump with a sponge filter attached to it because any bubbles in the water are bad for the fish and they told me to shut off my filter. Now, I haven't shut off my filter, but I only use the sponge filter and bio balls, not the carbon. I put in live bacteria with the pwc, I work the water over as much as possible before I put it into the tank, and I slowly add the water to make sure he doesn't go all crazy. I vacuum the gravel as best I can each time the water is changed, and still he floats along the top. Even when he sleeps, he floats at the top.

When I first purchased him, he would sleep at the bottom, by the rocks. Since he started to seem ill, he's slept at the top. I also notice a few scales are missing and he colors don't look as bright as before. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I can't afford to invest any more money at this point, since everything has cost me a few hundred as it is. Thanks!

+1 for upgrading to the correct size tank!

Your tank is not cycled, so I'd suggest you read thru this link and don't worry about you pH, it's fine. Daily PWC of 50% is going to be important to the fishes health. Sounds like you have an AC50 filter, which is an excellent choice and yes, do keep it running lol. A good addition for goldies is a plant called Anacharis, they love to eat it and it soaks up no3.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/artic...g-but-I-already-have-fish-What-now/Page2.html

Sounds like swim bladder disease and frozen peas (thawed/shelled) are the best way to cure this. I give my Moors peas once a week as part of their regular diet.

I'd suggest one good feeding of fish food every other day and peas on the off days untill it clears up.

Just an fyi, but comets get pretty big and do best in ponds as adults.

Thanks for the advice! 50%? The other site recommended 20% a day, but I suppose more couldn't hurt him.

Yes, I saw a full-sized comet the day I upgraded to a 20 gallon and the person who helped me told me I should seriously consider a pond instead, but since I live in Los Angeles in an apartment, I will have to make do for now. I figure if the calculations are 2.5 gallons to every inch and he might grow about 2 inches a year, I have 4 years to move into a home and create a pond.

Now, Mr. Limpet, with regards to the pond pump in lieu of the filter (yes, I think it's an AC 50, it's that quiet running one in the green box that costs about 50 or 60 dollars), should I go with the advice of the other forum and switch completely to a pond pump? I'm a bit confused since they only advocate pond pumps, yet I see on this forum and another forum that filters work and everyone's fish is happy.

I agree with mr. Limpet. But I think what your comet needs is a 3-4 days of fasting (don't worry he wouldn't die from starvation). Also whenever u are feeding your comet pellets, leave it soaking in aquarium water for 5-10mins. This allows the pellets to expand prior to your goldfish consuming it. Last advise, once ur comet has recovered, don't feed it once a week on a weekly basics. This allows them to clear out any food it has left in it's system.

Thanks for the advice! 50%? The other site recommended 20% a day, but I suppose more couldn't hurt him.

Yes, I saw a full-sized comet the day I upgraded to a 20 gallon and the person who helped me told me I should seriously consider a pond instead, but since I live in Los Angeles in an apartment, I will have to make do for now. I figure if the calculations are 2.5 gallons to every inch and he might grow about 2 inches a year, I have 4 years to move into a home and create a pond.

Now, Mr. Limpet, with regards to the pond pump in lieu of the filter (yes, I think it's an AC 50, it's that quiet running one in the green box that costs about 50 or 60 dollars), should I go with the advice of the other forum and switch completely to a pond pump? I'm a bit confused since they only advocate pond pumps, yet I see on this forum and another forum that filters work and everyone's fish is happy.

IMO stick with the AC50, it's a great filter and I have no idea why anyone would recommend a pond pump for an aquarium lol.

Ok, performed the 50% water change, he swam around a bit and now he is back to either sucking air from the surface, but not swimming around while he does it, or floating at the top, listing to one side. It almost seems like he is sleeping because he will suddenly become animated and swim around or pick at the gravel for food. I really cannot figure out what the problem is. When he tilts too far, he does correct himself. I am at the point where I rush home daily to make sure he is still alive.

Wanna post a pic? But to be it sounds like his swimming bladder disorder is getting quite serious. So all u can do now is keep the water quality good and also fast it for 3-4 days

Lemkom said:
Ok, performed the 50% water change, he swam around a bit and now he is back to either sucking air from the surface, but not swimming around while he does it, or floating at the top, listing to one side. It almost seems like he is sleeping because he will suddenly become animated and swim around or pick at the gravel for food. I really cannot figure out what the problem is. When he tilts too far, he does correct himself. I am at the point where I rush home daily to make sure he is still alive.

Does it seem to be recovering from the SBD? What are your water parameters?

I can't tell if he seems to be recovering, because he does move around at times, but he seems to swim into the glass when he goes too quickly.

As of two hours ago, the ph is 7.8 (matches my tap water), ammonia 0, nitrate 0, nitrite 0, temperature 66 degrees. I even pour the water in a little at a time since I know a sudden drop or increase in pressure can add to his SBD. Of course 60% of the time he's in motion he's swimming around with his mouth at the top of the tank and I don't know how to make him stop doing this.

Mr limpet correct me if I'm wrong. But it may be due the lack of oxygen in ur water. That's y its mouth is on the top of the tank. Does he appear to be gaspin for air? If that's true it could be part of the reason for his swimming bladder disorder. But the lack in oxygen is really unlikely due u have a 20 gallon tank with only one comet. Hmm
Only other thing I can think of is that he's constipated. So he's gasping for air trying to get the food down and out of his system. Are u feeding him still? U shouldn't be

I can't tell if he seems to be recovering, because he does move around at times, but he seems to swim into the glass when he goes too quickly.

As of two hours ago, the ph is 7.8 (matches my tap water), ammonia 0, nitrate 0, nitrite 0, temperature 66 degrees. I even pour the water in a little at a time since I know a sudden drop or increase in pressure can add to his SBD. Of course 60% of the time he's in motion he's swimming around with his mouth at the top of the tank and I don't know how to make him stop doing this.

Generally, gasping at the surface is lack of o2 in the water, or inability to absorb o2. PWC help infuse o2 and lower temps allow more o2 in the water so those should be helping your fish out. What kind of filter are you running? Surface agitation is important, so if your filter doesn't seem to be breaking the "seal" on the water surface, an air stone will help a lot.

Keep up with the peas (shelled) and daily PWC and give it some time to see if there's improvement.

My filter is an AC50 with just the sponge and bio balls, turned on high. I've also adjusted the water level (lower) so that it gets more of a splash, but there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of surface action even with the air stone turned up. I had a power head in there awhile ago, but that didn't really seem to give me results either.

I'm getting conflicting messages about feeding and peas. I'm supposed to continue feeding him and not fast him? And I thought I was supposed to deshell the peas and mash them into manageable bits for him. If I just drop the whole thing in shell and all while frozen, I can try that too. Thanks for all your help, I'm sorry I'm so ignorant with all this.

If I could post a photo I would, but every time I get near him with a camera or my cell phone, he swims away.

Lemkom said:
My filter is an AC50 with just the sponge and bio balls, turned on high. I've also adjusted the water level (lower) so that it gets more of a splash, but there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of surface action even with the air stone turned up. I had a power head in there awhile ago, but that didn't really seem to give me results either.

I'm getting conflicting messages about feeding and peas. I'm supposed to continue feeding him and not fast him? And I thought I was supposed to deshell the peas and mash them into manageable bits for him. If I just drop the whole thing in shell and all while frozen, I can try that too. Thanks for all your help, I'm sorry I'm so ignorant with all this.

If I could post a photo I would, but every time I get near him with a camera or my cell phone, he swims away.

U have to deshell ur peas and let it thaw to room temp. U don't need to mash it. Just make sure the peas are able to fit in it's mouth. And as far as fasting or continue feeding it. I believe fasting is the best way. I've dealt with SBD on goldfish quite often in my early years of fishkeeping. But honestly it's up to u.

Lemkom said:

EDIT: Stupid app is all messed up and posts on its own lol.

All I can do is recommend what's worked for me. The power head isn't a good idea IMO, as goldfish don't really like strong currents. I also don't like fasting any of my fish, but don't over feed them either. Peas have to be shelled, because the skin is too tough for them (no teeth) to get thru. Lower water level is great and I've no doubt that there's enough surface agitation with your setup. Keep up those daily PWC and reread the cycling with fish article.

Thanks Hu! As of yet, I haven't fed him today actually, I'm just waiting to see the results. The air bubbles and filter are on max, I suppose I could also reattach the power head to get more surface action going, but I find when I do that, he likes to hide right next to the power head and stay completely still. He's still kind of doing that now and letting the current move him around the tank, but when he is moved too far from where he wants to be, he swims back into position.

Lemkom said:
Thanks Hu! As of yet, I haven't fed him today actually, I'm just waiting to see the results. The air bubbles and filter are on max, I suppose I could also reattach the power head to get more surface action going, but I find when I do that, he likes to hide right next to the power head and stay completely still. He's still kind of doing that now and letting the current move him around the tank, but when he is moved too far from where he wants to be, he swims back into position.

If he's hiding near the power head it means that the current is too strong. Try buying a black silicon air tube. It's longer so more surface area gets agitated.

Back
Top Bottom