Lethargic Guppies?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kota

Aquarium Advice Regular
In the shop where i bought them these guppies were energetic. But now that they're here they've taken to floating at the top or laying at the bottom where I've taken their picture. The only time they become active is to eat. Any ideas as to what's wrong with them and how to fix it?

ForumRunner_20120414_220138.jpg

ForumRunner_20120414_220120.jpg

ForumRunner_20120414_220201.jpg

Since posting this 2 males and 2 females died then the rest mysteriously got better. (granted i dropped in medications for fungus bacteria and parasites to kill whatever hurt my fish) i have a lfs and walmart as my only close fish related resources and im currently unemployed and looking for a job, so i bought strips to test my water. According to them the only problems with my water is alkalinity and it's hard. im concerned for my lemon cobra male. He's starting to act like the others that died...

Hi, I'm sorry for your loss.
Can you possibly take a sample of your water to your LFS and get them to test it with a liquid test kit?
What size tank and what fish do you have?
Are they showing any signs of disease or distress now?

Im pretty sure she doesn't have any. But i can always go in and inquire tomorrow. Its a 29 gallon with 2 male guppies and 3 female. And a male and female corydoras.only my lemon cobra male and a female. They're laying on the bottom of the tank and seem to have no appetite. Oh, forgot about the 30 or so fry i need to move.

I would do a large water change using temperature matched water an see how they react. If they perk up you know it's a water problem. Any physical signs? Red gills, fuzz, gasping, clamped fins?

The male is swimming in place. He started about an inch and a half from the bottom he moment move away from that spot unless i coax him with a net. And he keeps sinking lower every day. The female is laying on her stomach. My girlfriend says the spot looks like internal bleeding where her lungs would be.

Their waste(what little I've seen has been white or red. Very long when white. Just looked again to make sure, and the female has moved for the first time in at least 2 days and looks like she has a strand of clear coming out of her.

That's what's strange. Girlfriend just checks on her and the spots gone and her eyes are visibly clearing up. Could it be related to her possibly giving birth?

I wouldn't think so. I don't deal with livebearers myself though. I think the best thing to do right now is keep a close eye on everyone, do daily water changes and save up for a liquid test kit. ;) We need to pinpoint the problem but it's hard to do without accurate readings from the tank. If toxins where really high it would take more than one water change to bring them down so I'm thinking another one just to be on the safe side. You mentioned you added some medication? It could have knocked out some of the BB.
http://www.allabout-aquariumfish.com/2009/03/how-to-detect-fish-internal-parasites.html?m=1

http://badmanstropicalfish.com/fish_palace/tropicalfish_disease_identification.html#ERM
Have a read if these also.

Turns out the female is pregnant. When she's delivering that happens. But that doesn't explain the male...he does it when she does...very strange...

Back
Top Bottom