LFS sick fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xsryman

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I have purchased fish twice in the past 3 weeks from my lfs. I lost a bristled nose pleco after 3days. Last Friday I purchased 5 endler tetras and all 5 are now either floating at the top or laying at the bottom of my tank. Very low activity. Are they sick, incompatible with my tank or am I doing something wrong? My community is danios, neons, corys, ottos, two rainbows, and assassin snails

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

How big is your tank? Do you know your ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and PH levels? Did you cycle the tank before introducing the fish? The more details you can give us, the better people here can help you. :)

My tank has been up and running for almost 2 years. Its 55gallon. I haven't tested the water in a while because the other 15 fish that have been in there for over a year are still fine. I had a food issue and lost some fish but that has been solved thanks to Omega One.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Man, it takes a lot to bury a bn Pleco, they are tough lil guys. Your Lfs must have some bad stock at the moment.

Man, it takes a lot to bury a bn Pleco, they are tough lil guys. Your Lfs must have some bad stock at the moment.
i was there on Sunday and one of there tanks had a fish covered in ick. I told the guy there but it seems like there is always fish stuck in the filter intakes or fish bobbing at the top. Maybe i should just start buying my fish online. :blink:

I would definitely consider another source, do you qt your fish when you get them?

I would definitely consider another source, do you qt your fish when you get them?
no i dont. i dont currently have a qt tank. But i am working at that, you may have seen my other post floating around about my 20gal fishless cycling i am doing at them moment.:cool:

Nice! Not for a qt though? I didn't use one either until I unleashed the beast in my 20 tall and lost 4 fish. It's only a 5 hex qt but I wouldn't risk it ever again. Losing fish stinks.

No not saying it wouldn't , that's like a delux qt, if you can get away with using a 5 or 10 why not fill the 20 with awesome?!

No not saying it wouldn't , that's like a delux qt, if you can get away with using a 5 or 10 why not fill the 20 with awesome?!
i orginally bought it for a hospital tank back around the first of the year because of all my fish dying. I thought they had parasites or something but i didnt think about how long it takes to do a fishless cycle and now my fish are all dead so i am just cycling it for now. But i bought the endlers tetras to try and restock my 55gal and they arent looking so good now. IDK. really frustrated. maybe just flush them all down the toilet and get a turtle. lol.

Dude you have a running tank, just throw some seeded media in the 20, it could cycle in 3-4 days! I've cycled tanks in 30 hrs by taking a filter off a running tank and dropping it on a new tank.

Dude you have a running tank, just throw some seeded media in the 20, it could cycle in 3-4 days! I've cycled tanks in 30 hrs by taking a filter off a running tank and dropping it on a new tank.

really?!?! :blink:

well how long does it take to seed media? i put a polishing pad in my big tank maybe a week ago. Would that be seeded enough? also i am midway through a cycle, will that kill the bb on my seeded media?

really?!?! :blink: well how long does it take to seed media? i put a polishing pad in my big tank maybe a week ago. Would that be seeded enough? also i am midway through a cycle, will that kill the bb on my seeded media?
Ohh yah! I'm shocked no one has mentioned that in your cycling thread, what do you run for filters on your cycled tank?

yeah 2 fliter pads and then i stuffed 2 polishing pads in there. even the filters pads are pretty new i just changed them not too long ago. (also may have been the reason for so many fish deaths...i know i know.)

how long does it take to seed media do you think?

yeah 2 fliter pads and then i stuffed 2 polishing pads in there. even the filters pads are pretty new i just changed them not too long ago. (also may have been the reason for so many fish deaths...i know i know.) how long does it take to seed media do you think?
hmm I doubt a mini cycle would kill fish unless you didn't change water for a month, did you change them at the exact same time? Can you crab a nice fat scoop of gravel, stick it in a mesh bag or nylon stocking, than pick the dirtiest looking polishing pad and throw it all in the new tank like a pot if soup! Should help, can't hurt!

hmm I doubt a mini cycle would kill fish unless you didn't change water for a month, did you change them at the exact same time? Can you crab a nice fat scoop of gravel, stick it in a mesh bag or nylon stocking, than pick the dirtiest looking polishing pad and throw it all in the new tank like a pot if soup! Should help, can't hurt!

just place the seeded media in the tank like just let the nylon full of gravel sink to the bottom and the pad float on top? or do i put this stuff in the HOB

Back
Top Bottom