Loach Fin damage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AaronBurr

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello All,

I have a Clown Loach with small holes in his fins along with slightly raggy fins. He is also about half the size of the other loaches, despite getting them at the same time (I've had them a little over a month). In addition he was swimming with his dorsal fin clamped when I pulled him from the 55 g. But that seems not to be the case now that I have isolated him in a 1 g.

The ph, ammonia, nitrites and nitrates all seem normal in the 55g. Also in the 55g are additional clown loaches, pictus, clown barbs, swordtails and an angle. I haven't noticed him getting picked on but that could be happening. My other thought was it could be fin rot, which I have not dealt with before. But I'm not sure that would leave him so much smaller?

I was hoping someone here might have a clue or at least other things to look for to help narrow it down? Should I treat with Melafix to help prevent any further fin damage?

Thanks for all your help! I've tried to include a pic but its not great. Sorry.

Attachments

• 20180428_111447.jpg
    20180428_111447.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 76
Hello All,

I have a Clown Loach with small holes in his fins along with slightly raggy fins. He is also about half the size of the other loaches, despite getting them at the same time (I've had them a little over a month). In addition he was swimming with his dorsal fin clamped when I pulled him from the 55 g. But that seems not to be the case now that I have isolated him in a 1 g.

The ph, ammonia, nitrites and nitrates all seem normal in the 55g. Also in the 55g are additional clown loaches, pictus, clown barbs, swordtails and an angle. I haven't noticed him getting picked on but that could be happening. My other thought was it could be fin rot, which I have not dealt with before. But I'm not sure that would leave him so much smaller?

I was hoping someone here might have a clue or at least other things to look for to help narrow it down? Should I treat with Melafix to help prevent any further fin damage?

Thanks for all your help! I've tried to include a pic but its not great. Sorry.
He may be smaller because of being picked on constantly without you knowing and got less or he could simply taken on a recessed gene from his lineage. Either way, I do think you should go ahead and treat him for fin rot. Since you don't know for sure, in case it is fin rot that would eventually kill him.

I agree with DR J, I think its likely the noted CL is at the bottom of the pecking order and is suffering a physical decline as a result. Melafix is an antiseptic type med and might help.
If you have a separate tank where the CL can heal up and grow, it might allow him a better chance.

I agree with DR J, I think its likely the noted CL is at the bottom of the pecking order and is suffering a physical decline as a result. Melafix is an antiseptic type med and might help.
If you have a separate tank where the CL can heal up and grow, it might allow him a better chance.

Thanks guys. Normally I have a 3g tanks I could put him in but right now all I have is the 1 g with no filter. Do you think as long as I do daily water changes and am carefully with the med dosing I can keep him in it for a bit?

If you can keep the little tank warm and provide an air stone, might be able to pull it off.

the CL is getting worse. Specifically I've had him isolated and using melafix +air stone but his fin damage is getting worse. And there is significant damage to fins that had none before. And his dorsal fin is clamped.

Worse I leave town tomorrow for a week. I can have someone administer a treatment but they are unlikely to be able to monitor him as closely as I could.

Any ideas?!

Evidently the problem is something a little more dire than originally suspected, probably a bacterial infection. Might change up the meds to an antibiotic. Many strains of bacteria have little to no tolerance to salt, maybe another avenue. Sorry for the tough spot you're in.

Evidently the problem is something a little more dire than originally suspected, probably a bacterial infection. Might change up the meds to an antibiotic. Many strains of bacteria have little to no tolerance to salt, maybe another avenue. Sorry for the tough spot you're in.

Thanks for the fast reply. I was thinking along the same line. I haven't had to treat for this before, is there a brand you would recommend? API is my usual go to.

I've got a real good track record for treating parasites. Not so successful with bacterial problems.
I believe CB recommends API -Furan 2 as well as Kanaplex.

One more potential problem; Loaches are usually far more sensitive to meds.

Thanks I'll pick some up.

And yeah, since typically you need to half the dose I try to keep a closer eye on my scaleless fish. That way their own immune system can help fight back more easily and they don't need the full dose. We'll have to see but this little guy is not looking so hot right now.

On a side note V227, I really appreciate that you're so receptive and responsive to questions from us less experienced keepers. :thanks:

Back
Top Bottom