loach sick? What to do?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

current516

Aquarium Advice Activist
I just noticed that one of my zebra loaches has a swollen stomach and seems lethargic. He's just kind've sitting on the bottom.

My other fish seem fine. I'm going to try to do some research and figure it out. I dont want to over- or under-react, does anyone have any ideas?

Is this something that could spread to my other fish? Do I need to act fast? What should I do?

thanks

Im no expert but i know that loaches do get fat. Its normal, especially with Clown loach.

I dont know a lot about Zebra's (Striata) but my brother has 3 young zebra's that dart about together from time to time.

What size is your sick one? I think once they get to a certain age or size, lazyness kicks in. I have a really fat yoyo and he sits ALL DAY! under his wood and comes out, zipping around at night.

Also could he have been overfed?

my loaches spend a lot of the time lying on the bottom of the tank "resting". often they look dead--lying on their sides completely not moving--until i start to freak out--and then they twitch just a little so i know they're alive. lazy buggers!

hmm…

Now it's swimming aroud and eating, but its stomach is still swollen. Maybe constipated? Don't know it it's male or female. Could a she be swollen with eggs? hmm... maybe I'm worrying too much.

Satsumas said:
Also could he have been overfed?

I guess so? I try not to overfeed but can't control the number of snails it might have eaten. I just put in some new plants yesterday. Maybe it over-indulged on hitchhikers.

I think I read that Epsom Salts (Magnesium Sulfate) is good for constipation (and plants).. perhaps adding a little wouldn't hurt anyway..

How big is "swollen", could it be "I ate too much" swollen?

Wizzard~Of~Ozz said:
How big is "swollen", could it be "I ate too much" swollen?

It's an odd looking swollen, but maybe it just ate too much. I guess I'll just keep an eye on it.

I think it may have just ate too much. Although if there are other loaches then either they didnt eat any snails or you have a lot of snails to go round.

I'f just wait and see how it is tomorow im guessing all the snails are gone or will be soon. So i think it'll be fine, just needs to let the snails digest.

If the loach did eat loads then i find that quite funny, its clearly just stuffed its face full of snails! lol

you could try throwing a couple of peas in there (shell them first)--they are good for unblocking constipated fish--and your loaches will definitely go for them.

Loach OK. Maybe I am overfeeding?

Loach seems OK now, even though I didn't have any peas to give it. It still looks a little fat, but it doesn't look swollen anymore.

ugh. Now I'm thinking that I have been overfeeding! That could explain my cloudy/greenwater problem that keeps popping up, right? I thought I just hadn't found the proper balance between CO2, Light, etc.

Is it possible at all that it's dropsy? Or is that a Betta-only problem?

dropsy is a disease common to a lot of fish. but it doesn't reeally sound like dropsy. it sounds like the loach overindulged. cut down on the feeding--loaches are really good scroungers and will always find plenty to eat.

how is he doing now?

Back
Top Bottom