Loach stuck under a rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

w00dy80

Aquarium Advice Newbie
We have a small (I think Hill stream) loach in our tank with two goldfish. For the last few days I’ve not seen the loach which isn’t necessarily unusual as he is quite elusive so not thought much of it. I thought I’d have a quick look for him this evening only to find him upside down stuck under a rock. I moved the rock and he just sank on his back. His feeders underneath and his eyes were moving but the rest of him wasn’t. I’ve since noticed he’s moving his fins but his dorsal fin hadn’t moved. He’s now sat on a rock the right way up but isn’t doing a great deal. Do they burrow at all? I can’t believe this is normal. Any ideas?

Woody
The behavior you described is not normal for any healthy fish. There are so many possibilities, ammonia spike, parasites, bacterial infections among others. Look for white spots, white mucus looking growths, or a mass of tiny yellow specks on the Loaches body. If you don't notice the listed symptoms the problem is likely water parameters.

Woody

The behavior you described is not normal for any healthy fish. There are so many possibilities, ammonia spike, parasites, bacterial infections among others. Look for white spots, white mucus looking growths, or a mass of tiny yellow specks on the Loaches body. If you don't notice the listed symptoms the problem is likely water parameters.

Thank you for your reply. No spots or anything. I was thinking it down to him getting himself stuck and being a bit she’ll shocked from being upside down for so long. I I’ll check water. Goldfish are fine though

Back
Top Bottom