Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-24-2004, 04:56 PM   #1
Liz
Aquarium Advice Regular

Loach with bulging belly - parasite?

Hi all,

I wonder if anyone can help. I have a very healthy 50gallon planted tank with a variety of tropical freshwater fish.

My problem is that one of my two Yoyo loaches is very swollen. She has pretty much always been like this the bulge slowly got larger then appeared to stop growing for several months and is now growing again. Originally I thought perhaps she was eating too much or was swollen with eggs. However as time has gone by - 10 months I have come to the conclusion that she has a parasite.

Has anyone ever suffered from a similar problem or got any advice.

There are no other symptoms, she has been a very happy little fish and her bulging belly does not seem to have any detrimental effect - other than her size.
All other fishes are fine - including my shoal of rummy nosed tetras which are usually the first to show symptoms of disease.

If it is a parasite - how do I treat it?

Hope you can help
Thanks in advance
Liz

Old 07-25-2004, 06:42 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

The likelihood Liz, is the fish has dropsy. This isn't a disease but an internal bacterial infection. It can be treated with tetracycaline. Just be sure that whichever medications you purchase are safe for scaleless fishes.

HTH

Old 07-25-2004, 08:34 AM   #3
Liz
Aquarium Advice Regular

Hi Brian,

Thanks for your reply. I treated the entire tank a couple of months ago with Interpet's anti-internal bacteria as one of my tetras had raised scales and I didn't want to quarantine him due to their shoaling nature. I thought that catching and separating him form his buddies him might just finish him off.

I treated them for almost 2 weeks and it had no effect on my loach's bulge. I cannot find a contents list on the box of medication just a note saying "effective new active ingredient" - really helpful! So I will try looking for a product with tetracycaline or try another companies product which is scaleless fish friendly.

Thanks again.
Liz
Old 07-25-2004, 07:01 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
Mardel makes Tetracycline Tablets, which you should be able to find at any pet store.

Good Luck with your fish

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Devilishturtles is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
belly, loach, parasite

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com