Long-finned Danio losing fins

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dsilvers

Aquarium Advice Regular
We have a 55 gallon with different types of danios, neons, etc. All are doing well, but just the other day we noticed one of the pearl long-finned danios was missing part of its tail. We added some salt as a tonic and watched for any aggressive behavior. The next day ALL of its tail was gone. We decided to move it to our 20 gallon tank...the fish are not as active and it's mellow in there. We floated the fish and it moved in fine. Now, it seems like more of its side fin is missing. I read a little about fin rot, doesn't seem to be much remedy for that. The other three long-finned danios still in the 55 have NO signs of being nipped or fin rot. Any thoughts??

I had a Platy that this happened too. Very weird. I thought that someone was nipping at this tail too, but then someone suggested that it may have been nipped at then a infection set in. I was told to try Melafix. I did and it worked! He actually grew the missing fin back. The Melafix is pretty neat, cuz' it is natural.. from tree bark. It doesn't mess us your biological filter and is colorless. I thought is had a neat smell to it too. Good luck! :D

It is totally safe for the other fish. when I treated my platy I had 4 Zebra Danios, 4 Black Skirt Tetras, 2 Playts, an algae eater and a Pictus catfish. All were totally fine.
But before you add the melifix, remove the carbon from your filters or it will just filter the medicine right out of your tank. :?
If you run a cartrige filter, just make a little slice in the floss or spongy stuff and empty out the carbon. Good Luck!

Back
Top Bottom