Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-06-2011, 07:20 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Looking for a pest ID

These little guys have just popped out all over. I am not sure what they are so I don't know how to treat them. They don't seem to be bothering the fish, but they are on multiple glass surfaces in one of my 55gal. In the pictures they are on an old diving mask which is on one side of the tank. Any idea on what they are let me know. Water parameters 0, 0, 5, pH 7.5 temp 80F. I really don't want ANOTHER problem with this tank. It all started with a darn filter problem that it is STILL recovering from.

Worms in tank - YouTube

Old 11-06-2011, 08:19 PM   #2
Look It Up

Hi, I posted a reply on your other thread. It's probably planaria; harmless but a sign you are overfeeding and undercleaning the substrate.

librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 12:30 AM   #3

Yup it is planaria for sure I hate them that's why I got this to kill those buggers
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-399083663.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	39.9 KB
ID:	59947  
Old 11-07-2011, 10:47 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

wow! i didn't know they made anything for it! sweet! but i am first going to just sand vac and PWC for a while and see if it helps. Plus I will be feeding extremely lightly for a while. I won't starve them, so don't worry!
Old 11-07-2011, 10:53 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

That's nuts. You shouldn't need meds for something that you have to change your habits for anyway. Doesn't make much sense to me, and sounds like a complete waste of money.

I've never experienced planaria. I feed every 2-3 days and never ever overfeed.
75: blood parrots, featherfin cat, emperor tetras, turquoise rainbowfish, BN plecos, japanese trapdoor; 46: WCMM, gold inca snails, ghost, bamboo & amano shrimp, kuhli loaches, rummynose & ember tetras, endlers, platies, flame gourami, guppies; 16: pygmy, peppered, loxozonus corys, otos, assassins, RCS ... ~ Research PRIOR to purchase.... ~
LyndaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 12:28 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

this is the tank that had the ich outbreak and massive die off. I never found two fish that died so I think their bodies added to this mess. I have been trying to keep up with the tank but have just had another diatom outbreak and die off, so i was wondering if this adds to it.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com