Loosing the battle with ICH

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rivers2k

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have been keeping tanks for a very long time and over the past 10 years I can remember 3 cases of ICH. I have lost the battle every single time. Its the one thing I can't seem to overcome in tanks as soon as I see a fish scratching doom sets in.

Well this is my fourth bout with ICH. My 75 gallon showed sign about 7 days ago. I am now on day 6 of treatment and I have lost about half of my fish. Some fish seem to be doing better others are not.

Day 1,2,3 I treated with Tetra ICH Gaurd. Doing a 30-40% water change every night before new dose. Out of medicine and I didn't notice an improvement so Day 4,5 I raised the Temp to 86 degrees and added aquarium salt. No new dead fish but still seeing fish with ICH.

Anyone have advice treatment. Any medicine that has worked in the past?

Thanks in advance.

These should answer any and all questions about the topic. They was just uploaded and wrote by one of our finest members in the last month. I hope it helps you out.

Imo good tank practice is all that's needed to keep from getting ick. I haven't had it in many years (10+) - knock on wood

Fish Disease Index: Prevention And Detection - Aquarium Advice

Fish Disease Index: Ichthyophthirius multifiliis. - Aquarium Advice

Thanks for sending these articles. I found the second most informative. The first I know everytime I have had ICH it was introduced by new fish not quarantined. I am setting up a quarantine tank this weekend as I have ordered a new fish online and I am going to teat for IP's just to be safe.

Quarantining new fish is the best preventative. Its worth noting that there are now a few strains of ich that are resistant to traditional treatment methods and can wipe out a tank quickly. If traditional methods are not working for you, the best alternative is to treat with quinine sulfate (which is safe for scaleless fish as well). The only place that I know of that sells it is FISH DISEASE DIAGNOSIS & FISH DISEASE TREATMENTS .

sorry- the link will take you to National Fish Pharmaceuticals website

Thanks for sending these articles. I found the second most informative. The first I know everytime I have had ICH it was introduced by new fish not quarantined. I am setting up a quarantine tank this weekend as I have ordered a new fish online and I am going to teat for IP's just to be safe.

what i noticed you didnt do was raise the temp in your tank, its very rare i get ich but when my africans do i raise the temp to 86 and treat its usually clear in 48hrs but i keep treating for another 48 after the fish are clear because the parasite falls off the fish into the substrate and lives there a while before reaching the swimming life cycle.

the medication will only work on it while the parasite is off the fish, while on the fish its protected by the mucus layer and the medication will have no affect.

hang in there! :ermm:

what i noticed you didnt do was raise the temp in your tank, its very rare i get ich but when my africans do i raise the temp to 86 and treat its usually clear in 48hrs but i keep treating for another 48 after the fish are clear because the parasite falls off the fish into the substrate and lives there a while before reaching the swimming life cycle.

the medication will only work on it while the parasite is off the fish, while on the fish its protected by the mucus layer and the medication will have no affect.

hang in there! :ermm:

While dosing with Tetra Guard I didn't raise it because the instructions said it was not needed. However when I stopped medicating I did raise to 86. That seemed to have some affect.

Quarantining new fish is the best preventative. Its worth noting that there are now a few strains of ich that are resistant to traditional treatment methods and can wipe out a tank quickly. If traditional methods are not working for you, the best alternative is to treat with quinine sulfate (which is safe for scaleless fish as well). The only place that I know of that sells it is FISH DISEASE DIAGNOSIS & FISH DISEASE TREATMENTS .

sorry- the link will take you to National Fish Pharmaceuticals website

Thank you I will try that and I will be sure to quarantine from now on. It has only bit me in the butt when I neglected to do so.

While dosing with Tetra Guard I didn't raise it because the instructions said it was not needed. However when I stopped medicating I did raise to 86. That seemed to have some affect.

the heat speeds up the life cycle to the substrate stage where the medication can work on the parasite, sorry for your losses but remember once you buy the experience dont lose the receipt bud, i have an entire file cabinet full lol

Looks like the salt and heat method is working. I bought some new beds last night but when I got home I noticed a significant improvement. I may return the meds and keep on my course of treatment.

Looks like the salt and heat method is working. I bought some new beds last night but when I got home I noticed a significant improvement. I may return the meds and keep on my course of treatment.

thats good to hear, but once the fish are completely clear, and are no longer scraping and scratching, remember go another 48hrs with treatmeant, and you should be in the clear bud (y)

thats good to hear, but once the fish are completely clear, and are no longer scraping and scratching, remember go another 48hrs with treatmeant, and you should be in the clear bud (y)

I read some where keep it going for a week. I think I am going to do that just to be on the safe side. :)

Back
Top Bottom