Losing catfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheFragile

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi all. I have a 20 gallon tank. I am using the filter that came with it (top fun 20) as well as a top fin 30 over the top filter. My tank is well established - been running a year with its original inhabitants.

I had 6 Cory cats as of a few days ago, one stopped swimming. I removed him and put him into an isolation tank and he was dead the next morning. Today, another one of my corys is laying on the bottom of the tank, when he swims he is not swimming well. I see no injuries.

In the tank also lives 5 glo skirt tetras, 2 otos, 5 glow light tetras, and 4 neon tetras. The last water change was a week ago. I usually do water changes every 2 to 3 week.Tonight, my nitrates are between 10 and 20, ammonia 0, nitrite 0. Water temp is 78.

I also lost a skirt tetra a few weeks back. I isolated him until he passed. He got really sickly and skinny looking. I'm afraid there is something in the tank affecting them. Any ideas? Any other info I can provide that might help?

Thank you. I'm worried. :(

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

That's a tough one - nothing seems amiss, from your description. You're going to have a death from time-to-time due to no fault of your own. I think Corys might be a bit less less robust than some other species. Sorry, can't really offer any advice on this.

It just seems like an odd and tragic trend. I was wondering that about the species too. Any idea what their normal life span is? With the exception of the 1 skirt tetra, all the other tetras have survived from my initial tank set up. The Cory cats don't seem to do well in there though.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom