Losing Dwarf Blue Gourami

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dimdem

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a smallish tank, an Ecplise 12. Right now it is home to a m/f pair of dwarf power blue gourami and 5 neon tetras, so it isn't overstocked. The male gourami is clearly weakening; I suspect that he is on his last legs. I noticed something odd the other day, which was there was a bright orangish tube sort of thing dangling beneath him. Being very new to fish, I thought it might be connected to reproduction, so I didn't panic. Since then, though, he hasn't shown an interest in food and has very little energy; his tail is always well below his head, and he will sometimes just sit on one of my plastic pants. I am worried now that he got injured in some way and that what I saw was something internal coming out.

I got this fish about 2 months ago, by the way, as a replacement for my original male who died rather suddenly. It wasn't a big surprise to lose one of my original fish, because without intending to I put them through a cycle. (I did my research and used Bio-Spira, but it just didn't seem to work as quickly as advertised, even when I added a second packet that came from a different source.) I got the replacement fish, the one who is now sick, from PetSmart, which is not my usual source for fish; I saw they had them when I was there with our dogs, and I didn't want the female to be lonely so I took the chance.

My current numbers, by the way: Ammonia 0, Nitrites 0, Nitrates between 5 and 10 ppm.

Could very well be internal parasites. Unfortanetly, the best way to cure them is using a medicated food. Is he looking thin at all?

If he still looks hopeful, swing to your nearest LFS and pick up, if they have it, some metronidazole. This is one of the best things to cure internal parasites that I know of, after almost buying it for my angel when I suspected that it had internal parasites. Other than that, you can try something containing a strong internal antibiotic, such as Maracyn-Two, or Maracyn.

This is one of the only things I can think it could be. HTH

Good luck.

Thanks. Unfortunately, I lost him before I had a chance to act on any of this. Frankly, I am really at a crossroads with this aquarium. I know this a decision that no one else can make for me, but maybe someone here will say something that clarifies my thinking. I've had the aquarium set up since January. I got it as a Xmas gift. It was a reasonable gift for my wife to buy, since she knew that I always enjoy looking at other people's fish. It has just never become an obsession for me the way it has for most people here. Taking care of them is a duty, not a pleasure. Occasionally I watch them, but never with any sense of fascination. If I am going to keep it going then I knew I need to get a new male Gourami to keep my female company. I should also get something to help keep the tank clean, to replace the spotted cories I lost (3, although I never had more than 2 at a time). I was thinking about trying ghost shrimp this time. I am seriously tempted, though, to sell the whole setup on EBay (to someone local, insisting that they keep and take care of my fish). What I am trying to decide is whether someone not completely obsessed by fish should have them at all.

You don't have to be completely obsessed.....not everyone has addictive personalities and that's probably a good thing.

That being said only you can decide if you want the tank or not. If you don't get any joy out of it then give it up. Would you miss the tank or be happy to see it go?

It should feel like a hobby not a burden.

Back
Top Bottom