Losing fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jlindseyjr

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi folks. I just need a little guidance here. I've lost some fish and can't figure out exactly why. I apologize for the long post, but I don't want to miss anything. Here are my params:

Aquarium size and shape. Standard 20 Gal.
Substrate type and depth. Medium sized gravel. 2" deep
Decorations/structures. Fake logs, silk plants.
Type and size of filtration. Penguin 170 Edited--Not a Penguin 125

All of the fish and their sizes. Right now I have 2 Emerald Cories, each 2" long and 4 platies(1 male, 3 female) each about 1.5 " long.

Live plant types and quantity. None
How long the tank has been setup and is it cycled? Been set up about 10 weeks and is cycled
Lighting type and time on/off. 20W(?) fluorescent. On at ~1:00PM Off at 11:00PM
Feeding, food types, quantities, and frequency. Flake food daily. Bloodworms occasionally.
PH 7.6
Hardness º3
Ammonia 0
nitrrIte 0
nitrAte I don't have a kit for NO3 but I do 20% water changes every 10 days
Salinity I haved a little salt but not enough to read on a Deep 6
Temperature 76º F

When I set up the tank in late January, I introduced 3 red wag platies and 2 emerald cories. I put in 1 oz of Biospira. I did get a small NH3 spike. Went up to 0.5. i added another oz of Biospira. NH3 and NO3 have been 0 ever since. Three weeks later I added 4 lyretail mollies, each about 1.5" long. I checked the NH3, never spiked. Several days later, 2 of the mollies had ich, the next day, all had spots except the cats. I jacked the temp to 85 and slowly added salt until the SG was 1.003. I left the temp up and the salt in for a week after all the spots disappeared. I then lowered the temp and did small water changes every few days to bring down the salt level. All the fish were still alive after we got rid of the ich. Then, over the next 2 weeks, the mollies died one by one, followed by the male platy. I was left with the 2 cats and 2 female platies. One of the platies was pregnant. I didn't know it until I saw a fry hiding in the bushes. She never got big nor did she have a noticeable gravid spot. She died about a week later. Through all this, the cories have flourished and have grown like weeds. I left the tank with just the cories and the last platy until this past Sunday. I added a male and 2 female platies. Right now they all seem happy, although my original red platy sometimes hides. I just can't figure it out.

I have a 30 gallon guppy breeding tank and it is not uncommon for the females to die after giving birth if they only have a few very large fry or if they birth a very larg amount of fry.

That's what I was thinking. The one I found couldn't have been more than 2 days old and you could already tell he was a red wag platy. He was about 5 mm long.

One of my cories died yesterday. Wednesday or Thursday he became very lethargic, his color darkened considerably and he stopped eating. I'm at a total loss as what the problem could be. I'm losing fish in seemingly perfect water. I tested it, then had a friend test it with his kit, and took a sample to the LFS and had them test it. Same results all the way around:

pH 7.4
NH3 0
NO2 0
NO3 5
GH º6 I believe this translates to about 100 -110 ppm
KH º6

The remaining cory and the platies seem fine, but of course, I'm holding my breath waiting for the other shoe to drop. I have no clue what to do now. Is it possible there's some nasty bacteria run rampant in the tank? Do I need to bleach the tank and start over? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
John

Thanks M,
I'm thinking big water change w/ a very thorough vacuuming (every inch of gravel instead of half), add an airstone and maybe go with a Penguin 330 instead of the 170. Something has to work. I don't like the idea of medicating indiscriminately, but I could treat the tank for gram positive bacteria. At least it won't hurt the bio filter.

Menagerie said:
I could treat the tank for gram positive bacteria
Why do you think it is a gram postive bacterial infection?

I don't, really. I just know that those particular antibiotics won't hurt the nitrifying bacteria. BTW, the other cory died yesterday. He was fine Sunday. When I got home from work last night my wife said he'd been hiding all day and when the platies would poke at him, he'd start rolling like an alligator in a death roll. By the time I got home at 9:00 he was gone.

Oh dear. I'm sorry for your loss.
I would not treat the tank with meds--yet. Was there anything in the charts that helped? What do you feed your fish? Were the cories bloated before death?

I feed them regular flakes and freeze dried bloodworms on occasion. They weren't bloated at all. There were no outward signs of anything being wrong. The club jungle link didn't work. I read through the other one and this was the closest match except that they were not newly arrived fish:

• Unexplained Losses of Fish No Outward Signs or Symptoms • Newly Arrived Fish • Hexamitosis • Octomitus
• Angels
• Plecostomus
• Cardinals
• Tetras
• South American Fish
• Discus • Hex-A-Mit
• Pipzine
• Discomed
• Paregotl II
• Fish Tender If (as a Feed Preventative)

I'm thinking it might be a bacterial swim bladder disease, but I'm just guessing.

I'm just going to through out some ideas.

Did you put anything new into the tank recently? A new decoration, or a rock, or some driftwood. Anything?

Could any of your maintenance aparatus (buckets, gravel vacuum, measuring cup, whatever..) have come in contact with something toxic?

It sounds like they are being slowly poisoned by something. Maybe it would help to put some new carbon in the filter to extract any toxins that might have gotten into the tank somehow.

Hope this helps.

Thanks Orca,
Nothing new in the way of deco or anything like that. Bucket, siphon and measuring cup have never touched anything but old tank water and new tap water. I did a large water change and vacuumed every inch of gravel. We'll see what happens.

Back
Top Bottom