Losing fish daily and I don't know why!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My money is on the Molly or gourami bullying the smaller fish due to lack of space for them.

No worried I'm here for advice. No nitrite is 0. Amm is between 0 and 0.25.

API kit was brought about 4 moths ago.

I have a pump in the tank which I leave on all the time.

With the temp it has gone up a little but has dropped over the last few days

Kinda.. you have too many fish that want to establish a territory imo you may not have overstocked your Bioload but some of your fish can become a little aggressive if crowded

Please can u elaborate? Which fish don't go well together?

No worried I'm here for advice. No nitrite is 0. Amm is between 0 and 0.25.

API kit was brought about 4 moths ago.

I have a pump in the tank which I leave on all the time.

With the temp it has gone up a little but has dropped over the last few days
Ok i see if im totally honest go to your local aquarium and have your water tested by them the brand of test kit you mentioned always seem to read on the optimistic side so make your water seem better then it actually is, just make sure they arnt using the same test kits

They can all be housed togather given they have enough room but as I said the mollies and gouramis don't like to feel crowded and imo would start to show some chasing and displays of dominance for territory in your setup which would lead to stress.. imagine your entire tank has been established by the larger fish and now your schooling fish are constantly swimming into and being chased out of different fishes territories. I could be wrong though as I am not able to actually see how your fish are getting along with out you posting a video but that's my guess

The only chasing I really see is the male chasing the female platy!

Then I'm stumped.. you could try having your water re tested.. are your thoroughly shaking the nitrate bottle #2 every time because even missing it once will throw off the chemical solution and give bad results

I'm a little thrown as well! Yes always shake that well!!! The fish seem to hide where they don't have to swim when dying and if they do swim they find it hard

You need specific details like how many of each fish there are and what type of gouramis. But it looks like you have overstock your tank... What are you nitrate reading at the end of the week? Like when you do a water change?

What is your water change routine? How do you treat the new water? Water source?

But what type of gourami? There are a bunch of type. If its a blue gourami I would get him out of there and into a bigger tank. How often do you watch your fish? They could be getting chased when your not looking. If your fish are like mine they come up to the glass when I go near the tank. But I would say you are overstocked IMO.

Water change 25 - 30% weekly. Treat with prime.

It is a honey gourami

How are you treating your water though? Also do you have a heater in the tank or keep it steady? Temperature fluctuating is a big thing. Also what are your nitrate levels at the end of the week?

What I mean is when you do a water change do you put the water in then add prime then put the water in or do you treat the water in a bucket then add it to the aquarium?

Ld123 said:
Oh sorry! I add prime to the bucket

Lol ok that's good but sorry I should have specified before I guess. But did you use any cleaning agents on the tank or have any scented hand soap or anything like that on you when your do your maintenance?

Back
Top Bottom