Losing fish daily and I don't know why!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ld123

Aquarium Advice Freak
I seem to be losing fish daily and I don't know why!!!!!

Details such as how long the tank has been set up, how it was cycled, type of fish, etc. will aid people in providing useful suggestions and thoughts.

I also moved the thread to unhealthy fish and added to the thread title to hopefully gain you responses.

Last edited:
Thank you!

It's been set up 4-5 months. Fish in cycle

Do you have a liquid test kit? What are your parameter readings?

Yes. Amm between 0-0.25. Nitrite 0 and nitrate between 5 and 10

Do you have any photos of the dead fish to maybe determine the cause of death

And also do you have anything in the tank that could be leaching chemicals or any metalic objects?

No I don't have pics but they look normal! They ate colourful and swimming in the morning and dead by eve! No everything is made for tanks.

What's your stock list and tank size. Could stress from aggression be it?

95L.
Platies
Rummy nose
Cardinal tetra
Lamp eye
Molly
Gourami
Guppies

There is no obvious aggression I don't think!!

With that stock list I imagine that there is a little chasing and territory dispute going on in that tank plus some of those fish need schools which I don't know if you have or not but if you do then your overstocked. All of this could be adding up to be to much stress on the fish. A second opinion would be good though.

6 rummy nose
5 cardinal tetra
2 lamp eye
5 platies
1 gourami
5 guppies
4 endlers

After deaths? How many did you have before and what was lost?

Yes after. Um I lost 3 cardinal tetra, 2 rummy nose and 2 lamp eye

No I don't have pics but they look normal! They ate colourful and swimming in the morning and dead by eve! No everything is made for tanks.

Just a couple of things for you here hope this helps.. how old are your test kits ? once over a year old the results can start to sway quite alot, and did you say you have 0.25mgl of nitrite ? if this is the case then any amount of nitrite is very bad for fish it stops the fishes blood from holding vital oxygen, And 1 more thing i have noticed you have posted this blog today,

The only other logical explanation to why they look fine in the morning and dead in the evening on a day like today is (Temperature) once your temprature starts to go over 27 28c it is very hard to keep oxygen dissolved in the water unless you have an airpump running so if its hot again mid day tomorrow check your temperature, if its high 20s then it could be lack of oxygen and the fish will be gasping near the surface, ofcourse if you was out you wouldn't have noticed this, dont fall into the trap of relying on the numbers on the heater the heater is a heater not a cooler so if your heater is set to 24c but your room temp is 25 the heater wont come on so you need to turn off the lights and open the lids, i hope this helps you alot and sorry for the long message

i do this for a living :)

Back
Top Bottom