Lost 2 otos :(((((

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bioworldmaker

Aquarium Advice Freak
So, a while ago my fish got ich.
A few days before I realized the tank had ich (before the white dots appeared on my fish) I remember doing a partial water change using this piece of tubbing, which I set aside behind the couch to either boil later or throw away. I did a heat therapy and the ich went away, we lived happily ever after.

Except for the fact that, when I had to move the tank (because we were getting new carpet) a few weeks ago, I was draining the tank when my dear hubby being the sweetie he is came to help me. So here he comes, with that same piece of tubbing (from the ich episode) and started siphon the water out while I was taking the river rocks, driftwood, etc out of the tank. I didn't really noticed which tubbing he was using until it was "too late" and more than 3/4 of the water was gone through the tubbing.

Then I had a dilema: dump all of the water out and start over with a full tank of new water OR re-use some of the water (50%) and the rest with new water. Doing a 100% water change sounded too radical so I did the other option, using 50% of that water that went through that tubbing. I figured that maybe the parasite that causes itch would have died out, since the ich episode was so long ago... BUZZZZZZZ! WRONG!

Just 3 days ago I started noticing that the fish started to rub against the driftwood... Bad sign! Then, 2 days ago the first white bump appeared in one of my tiger barbs and I immediatelly started the heat treatment.

However, this time two of the otos didn't make it... Last time I saw them was last night, but today I found them already decomposing in the tank (why so fast!?) Poor little buggers are just too sensitive... I am sure there was enough O2 in the water (I have a bunch of air stones in there going now), the water parameters were good, so the only explanation I can think of is the temperature change, which was very gradual, like one degree every 1.5 to 2 hours or so... :?: Or maybe they already had ich in their gills? I dunno...

Now I have 2 left in the tank... I didn't want to buy any more otos because they die so easily, but I wonder if the two left will be OK just the two of them? :?:

That's too bad, Bioworldmaker, I'm sorry you lost your otos. I think the 2 left will be okay, just watch how they act. Good luck in getting rid of the ich.

Isn't the parasite for ick always there? Just inactive until the water temperature starts fluctuating? My tank had ick when I first set it up, but I had no idea what it was and didn't have the time to check it. I lost all of the fish I had in there except all of my White Cloud Mountain minnows. They seem immune to it. I never treated the tank and left the water there, got new fish, and haven't had a problem in a year.

I had the otos about 4-5 weeks...
So I don't think they introduced itch...

I am quite sure that it must have come from the tubbing, there is nowhere else it could have came from... It just surprises me that it lived dried out for such a long time, must be the same kind of cist that crustaceans do - that is, dorment for dry periods and then re-activated by water contact...

My 2 other otos are fine, they don't seem to care much about the raise in temperature...

Hey Lance, I really don't know the answer to your question, but I supposed it may be possible that ich may be in a dormant form in your tank? I dunno... Weird fish diseases! LOL

Ok. I just loked in a book that I have and it said that when ich is on the fish and when it is in the cyst stage it cannot be treated. And they are parasites... That's all I got from it any thing else you know about it? I've only have it that one time, never treated it at all and it never came back. I dunno if that's good or bad.

Otos are great little algae eaters, but they really only thrive in a planted tank.

They can be somewhat fragile, unfortunately.

Back
Top Bottom