Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-20-2004, 11:44 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Lost 23 fish this weekend due to stupidity. - Make that 50

I was adjusting my aquarium heater to bring my show tank temp up to 88 deg. F. to battle some ICH. Unfortunately I did something to my canister filter heater, which caused it to lock in the on position, and heated the tank to 98 deg. F. Luckily I didn’t loose any of my plecos but my neons and my glow lights started dieing of like crazy. I dropped the tank temp by 3 deg. real quick and let it cool naturally to 88 deg. The next morning I noticed that my flame tetras were dieing off also. The problem now is that the remaining neons have shown signs of Neon Tetra Disease (NTD). I’m going to have to put down the reaming neons. My glow lights got NTD a few months ago and fortunately it didn’t spread at that time. I hope it sticks to the only the neons this time. So far I’ve lost:

12 glow light tetras
8 neon tetras
3 flame tetras

I hate making stupid mistakes, but I guess it’s all just part of the game we play. We have to be willing to accept the risks. I have a really nice school of diamond tetras and I’m glad they are all doing fine.

Old 07-20-2004, 11:51 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
Don't feel that bad docrak. I've done that before (unintentionally, my heater malfunctioned), but amazingly I only lost two fish... Guess I was just lucky.

So to hear about that though

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Devilishturtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 11:56 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Sorry to hear about the fish. Are you now battling NTD and ich?

Menagerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 12:28 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

The ICH was mostly in the tetras that died. Fortunately none of my loaches and plecos have shown signs of ICH. The ICH battle is the easy one, I don’t know of any way to battle NTD except for antibiotics or putting the fish down. I’m going to run my diatom filter tonight and start doing frequent water changes to prevent further outbreaks. NTD and ICH are supposed to be little parasites that can be removed using a diatomic filter.

The only good thing that came out of this weekend was that my large female sailfin molly (5 inches) dropped her babies. I’ve got about a hundred small molly fry in my 29 gallon tank.
Old 07-20-2004, 12:47 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

I've read that an increase in water temperature will trigger female livebearers to drop fry. Congratulations.
Old 07-20-2004, 02:36 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to madasafish
Docrak, if this is any indication of the quality of the store you buy from, think of going elsewhere! All stores should be quarantining new stock to reduce the chance of disease transmission. Even better, consider joining a Michigan aquarium fish club if you can. You'll seldom get any diseases from breeders and serious aquarists (exceptions do exist--BrianNY lost a number of discus due to an irresponsible breeder he bought from).

And yes, despite our best efforts, fish do die in our tanks. I lost a *lot* of neons when I first started out due to general ill-health of the fish I was buying. I did nothing wrong that I can think of!
Old 07-20-2004, 04:11 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

I don't think I've added any new fish for about a month now so I’m not sure where the ICH came from. It’s possible it’s always been in the tank just not bothering the fish. I think my biggest mistake is not QT-ing any new fish. I’m planning on joining a local fish club but haven’t had time. I’m a military contractor and have been very busy with projects involving Iraq.

I’m not worried so much about loosing fish. My problem is that it could have been prevented if I wasn’t so careless. I’m just getting back into the hobby. Keeping an aquarium is definitely a learning experience.
Old 07-22-2004, 12:46 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via AIM to DragonChild Send a message via Yahoo to DragonChild
*gryns*

No personal experience with malfucntioning heaters, but my co-worker accidently boiled her fish to death. The heater somehow set the tank to actually boiling....creepy to think of, huh?

Sorry to hear about your loss, but I hope that you keep this lesson as a mistake learned, and get more tetras!

"If you leap before you look, the game will be over before you have even begun to play" Shuten/Anubis

------------------------
40 gallon, freshwater, currently housing pleco, red tailed shark, 1 adult silver mickey mouse platy, 3 platy fry (unsure of colors right now), and 6 ghost shrimp.
Filter is an Aquaclear 200, azoo 6500 air pump, and Hagen heater.
DragonChild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2004, 10:17 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

What is neon tetra disease?
Old 07-23-2004, 02:49 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Here’s a link on neon tetra disease:

http://www.thetropicaltank.co.uk/hdntd.htm

Basically it’s not limited to just neons, any fish can get it. It’s pretty much a parasite. The only problem is that there is no cure, but it doesn’t spread quickly and it’s usually only a problem when fish are stressed out. The quickest way to tell you have is that the fish will start loosing it’s color and the flesh that is normally transparent with become milky and opaque.

I had to put down some additional fish that had it:

10 diamond tetras
5 flame tetras
12 head tail light tetras

I figured the quickest way to put them altogether was to put them in a blender and run it for about a minute. No just kidding, the garbage disposable is a much cleaner way to do it. No really, I used a bucket of carbonated soda with some dry ice in there. The CO2 puts the fish down pretty quickly and it’s kind of like going to sleep.

The ICH problem and the NTD problem is pretty much over. Ironically the only tetras I didn’t loose were my pristels (x-ray fish). After telling my local fish store manager of my problem he gave me 10 more pristelas for free.
Old 07-24-2004, 12:45 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by docrak
I figured the quickest way to put them altogether was to put them in a blender and run it for about a minute. No just kidding, the garbage disposable is a much cleaner way to do it.
Gosh, you really scared me for a moment there! 8O
Old 07-25-2004, 12:58 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Activist

I had 6 neon tetras that died a while ago. That was either because of ammonia levels or NTD. But I wouldn't have a clue - I've never known how to find stuff Like that. Guess being a newbie stinks, but getting better is good.

One south american pleco
17 gal FW tropical -
1 south american pleco
1 Bristlenose pleco
1 female betta
1 khuli loach 1 black khuli
3 zebra danios
3 flame tetras
2 black neons
1 glowlight (LFS mistake!)
LIVE FAST >>> SWIM HARD.
ploughking is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com