Lost 3 fish in 24 hours...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dreamroper

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hello~

I've lost a Neon, an Angel and a Platy, all within the last 24 hours. My water is testing out fine. I did 1/3 water change immediately. All of my other fish seem to be fine (for the moment :().

The bad thing that happened was there was a 10+ degree change in water temperature due to a heater problem. My water went from 84 down to around 75 overnight. I've stabilized it and this was several days ago. Do you think it was the stress from this? I also have well water, but have never seen any adverse effects in the past from my water being a bit hard.

Thanks for any advice.
D

IMO the change in temperature shouldn't kill three fish that fast.
You said your water parameters are fine, can you be specific? And also How do you measure them?

Numbers would be good. Those fish as I have found out are more sensitive then some may think. I feel your pain though. I've been missing 1-3 fish daily for 2 weeks. Cardinals, rummy nose, cory cats and 1 angel so far.

Numbers would be good. Those fish as I have found out are more sensitive then some may think. I feel your pain though. I've been missing 1-3 fish daily for 2 weeks. Cardinals, rummy nose, cory cats and 1 angel so far.

Lost another Neon during the night. Here are my numbers using a API freshwater testing kit.

Nitrites-0
Ammonia-0
PH-7.6
Nitrates-0

Thanks. It's really disturbing. I try hard to acclimate them before adding them to the tank, but maybe they're having a PH shock? What can I add to my well water to make it less hard? I try not to dose the water with anything too much. D

Lost another Neon during the night. Here are my numbers using a API freshwater testing kit.

Nitrites-0
Ammonia-0
PH-7.6
Nitrates-0

Thanks. It's really disturbing. I try hard to acclimate them before adding them to the tank, but maybe they're having a PH shock? What can I add to my well water to make it less hard? I try not to dose the water with anything too much. D

I feel your pain, like I said I've been losing fish everyday for 2-3 weeks now. Cardinals, rummy nose, cory cats and an angel. Is a heavily planted tank so... I maybe rushed my stock.

I feel your pain, like I said I've been losing fish everyday for 2-3 weeks now. Cardinals, rummy nose, cory cats and an angel. Is a heavily planted tank so... I maybe rushed my stock.

I think I did that as well. I added fish 2 weeks in a row. I noticed on another thread that someone said that nitrates shouldn't be 0 with a planted tank, but they are. I wonder if since the PH is high, maybe I didn't let things acclimate enough, meaning the new fish and the tank itself. It sucks. Thanks Convict.
D

I think I did that as well. I added fish 2 weeks in a row. I noticed on another thread that someone said that nitrates shouldn't be 0 with a planted tank, but they are. I wonder if since the PH is high, maybe I didn't let things acclimate enough, meaning the new fish and the tank itself. It sucks. Thanks Convict.
D

Your welcome. Yes you don't want 0 nitrAtes. 10ppm is good and you want phosphates also.

You'll get through. Just keep posting here for help.

Your welcome. Yes you don't want 0 nitrAtes. 10ppm is good and you want phosphates also.

You'll get through. Just keep posting here for help.

Just lost another neon.... What do I do about the nitrates? Should I add something to the water?

If your tank is fully cycled and you normally change your water weekly, you should read some nitrates. How old is your test kit? If its too old, it will give you false readings. My guess is that your tanks water is not good and it's killing your fish. I would perform daily water changes for now using a water conditioner such as Prime.

If your tank is fully cycled and you normally change your water weekly, you should read some nitrates. How old is your test kit? If its too old, it will give you false readings. My guess is that your tanks water is not good and it's killing your fish. I would perform daily water changes for now using a water conditioner such as Prime.

I have a heavily planted tank and when I do my 60% weekly's my nitrAtes fall and bottom out. I does nitrAtes (part of the GLA fert pack) my phosphates are good at 2.0ppm

I'm not going to go as far as saying the water is "bad"

I'm losing fish also and I wouldn't call my water "bad"

Parameters are all in check. My nitrAtes lowered but like I said I dose it.

I've stopped dosing phosphates as they were off the color chart and now have dropped like I also said to 2.0 ppm.

I think your tank will eventually balance out in time. I lost half my stock already. A lot of people I've spoken to on this forum as well as others including friends day they always over stock so when things pan out they get the stock they wanted.

Yes, I have 3 Amazon Swords, a Water Sprite, a couple of Amazons and a background plant that has little round leaves (can't remember the name).

Do you have a pic? I just like seeing what were taking about. Not that it matters really but I like pictures :)

I think you'll be fine honestly. I'm going trough the same exact thing. WE ;) just have to let it do its thing and mature and balance out. Trust me on that.

Do you have a pic? I just like seeing what were taking about. Not that it matters really but I like pictures :)

I think you'll be fine honestly. I'm going trough the same exact thing. WE ;) just have to let it do its thing and mature and balance out. Trust me on that.

How do I post a picture on the thread?

You can upload to your profile album or from your phone add attachment.

Okay, let me try that with the picture. I did 1/3 of a water change last night when I saw the dead Angel. I've tested my water and it's coming up clean, with the only exception being 0 nitrates, which I guess isn't good? I think my water is fine, other than the PH being a little high. I wonder if I didn't stock too fast and not give the fish enough time to acclimate to my new water.

Back
Top Bottom