Lost a catfish, one missing a tail but still alive

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dragon14

Aquarium Advice Addict
Unfortunately we pretty much know for a fact that Miss Betta is terrorizing our Pygmy catfish. We've not seen it first hand except when they first were all put in the tank together but we thought that was just because they were all stressed and he hid and she nipped. Other than that we've not actually seen her bully them.

Three days ago we lost a second Pygmy catfish (the first we lost about 3.5 weeks ago). Today I thought a third had died. I went to net him to find out, and he swam away. Poor guy was really stressed out, gills moving rapidly. I thought he was missing his tail but I couldn't tell for sure. My other half checked. He definitely does not have a tail.

I think we need to catch him and euthanize him, which I don't want to have to do. Not to mention they are SO hard to catch. Even without his tail, he swam pretty fast.

The other issue is she can't stay in there with them anymore. We're cycling our 5g for someone and she's looking forward to a betta when we're done, so that's out.

We do have a barely 2g tank (about 1.25g of swimable space) with a filter. We can't really afford to buy another tank AND heater. She has to come out though. :(. Ugh.
We don't want her in a tiny tank though.

Thoughts?
How can I catch this poor little catfish with no tail so that I can euthanize him? I may be able to get some clove oil. Cold water method I was thinking too. I want to be as humane as possible. I would hate to screw it up.
Anything else?

Think of this though, bettas are stuck in little cups so anything above that will be a step up. Sure the extra tank is small, but with clean water, regular changes, etc, she will live well. She clearly cant be with other fish, which is too bad, but it is what it is. I would take her out, leave the cory to see what it does...............he may turn around, but its unlikely. Sorry this is happening to you btw, I hate when fish stress me out, lol.

Bettas can be kept in anything larger than a cup, but that is not the responsible thing to do. I haven't seen a betta happy and thrive in anything less than a 5 gallon.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Well it's not ideal but they are up against a wall on this. They keep her in the one tank, she will bully everyone else. They have a 5 for a male in progress, so the 1.5 is the only option. Sure beats a cup.

Thanks guys :)

For now she's floating (temporarily of course) in a 16oz plastic food container in the tank so she doesn't hurt more fish. Clean never been washed w soap. We are going to try to float her in the 1g temp plastic tank we bought for her when we got her.

We're looking at getting a mini bow Aquenon 5g but. Read some reviews saying the filter can spill water out sometimes. We don't want her in the tiny (1.5) tank long term. We're both very against Bettas in anything less than 5 really. 2.5 isn't so bad but. 5 or more is best :)

We were considering seeing if our lfs would take the catfish back to rehome them. They're so hard to catch though. When I thought the tailless fish was dead and I tried to net him, he got so stressed out, gills moving rapidly. They hate water changes too. It stresses them out. No tail fish seems to be able to swim just fine (accidentally scared him once and he swam from the net and he's swam otherwise too). They stick their butts in the air when they eat, I'm not sure if he'll be able to eat. If he can eat, he'll probably be ok. I just hope he's not in pain.

I felt so sad for the fish w no tail and the two that died before when we found him w no tail today. We really didn't think she was why the other two died, but now we know it was her since we found the fish w no tail but still alive.

I know it's not her fault and I'm not mad at her. I'm frustrated w the situation though. We don't want 3 tanks to maintain (we're going to maintain the 5g w the betta too). But I am not sure about returning the catfish. And they won't take a no tail fish probably and he'd be miserable by himself! We haven't asked yet if they'd take them.

We don't want to spend more money but that's probably what we'll do. :/

Maybe Black Friday will have a good sale somewhere with a decent tank/tank kit. She'll probably go in the 1.5g temporarily but we have no other heater unless we take the one out of the 5g that we're cycling. No heater is why she's floating at the moment.

Wish she was a nice little betta...

The tail might grow back. I have a cory that had NO fins when I bought him (always watch when they are putting the fish in the bag...lesson learned!). His tail, pectoral, and dorsal were chomped right off. I didn't notice it til I got home, and living so far away from the store, decided to try to keep him. I kept him in warm, clean water and target fed him since he couldn't wiggle too far. After a little while, I saw regrowth.

I've had him a little more than a year, and his fins all grew back except his dorsal. It doesn't hinder him...he grew to be the largest and definitely the goofiest cory I have. We affectionately call him Hershel (walking dead fans will get the reference). Hope it all works out for you!

Awe that's great about your Cory :). Stinks his dorsal didn't grow back but glad it didn't hinder him. :)

Thank you. I'm glad we didn't try to euthanize him. He'll probably be ok :). It would be great if his tail grew back but he seems ok-ish without it.

We want to add some more of these guys and maybe a couple other fish at some point but for now just let them all feel comfortable again now that she's not in with them.

Dragon, where are you? I am in north western Canada and I have a full setup 5 gallon with heater, filter, etc that I could give you for your betta. I used it for my betta before I moved him to a community tank.

SNorlin check your PMs. :)

Amazingly the cycle in the 5g seems nearly done. I thought we may be 1-2weeks away. That sponge from our 10g really helped!

If it tests out in a few days, we'll put her in the 5g newly cycled until we get a home for her figured out. Then a male betta will have a new wonderful home :D

We hate leaving her in that cup!

No tail is dying :(. Laying on his side panting. I feel bad for him. I wish there was something I could do for him.

How is no-tail doing?I hope he makes it,i feel sorry for the little guy :(.

Thank you so much for asking. He's gone :(. The stress must have been too much. :(. I put him outside to be with nature.

We're going to get our remaining 4 catfish some more buddies tomorrow or Saturday.

Here it is Dragon. Like I said, definitely used. And I had a nerite snail that started laying eggs everywhere, so you might need a razor blade.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1416544800.522181.jpg

Let me know via MSG.

:sorry: Sorry for your loss T.T,:mad: EVIL BETTA! well,i hope your other catfish do well

:sorry: Sorry for your loss T.T,:mad: EVIL BETTA! well,i hope your other catfish do well

Thank you :)

It's not really her fault. She was just doing what she'd naturally do.

We thought they'd out swim her if she was chasing them but guess not. We only saw her nip once so we didn't know until we found the fish alive w no tail :(

What size tank is she in with the cories? Is it possible to get a tank divider? (If it is big enough)

What size tank is she in with the cories? Is it possible to get a tank divider? (If it is big enough)

It's a 10g. I thought about a divider, but I don't know how I feel about them. These guys are a half inch big right now, so, I dunno how that would work with a divider either.

If it were two fish (betta and like one other) I would say use the divider but that might be too small in the long being for the cories. But it might be an idea until you get a new tank for the betta all cycled and whatnot

Back
Top Bottom