Lost another one :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Are you sure your water parameters are correct? Take a sample to the lfs and have it rechecked. Wonder if you have faulty kits.

Yeah, i have heard of stocking right away with unhardy fish, even after cycle is complete the balance isn't totally established, but to lose this many fish is kinda suspicious

You mentioned that you're tank has hard water and a high pH, from what I've read cardinals are supposed to be very sensitive to pH. My LFS won't even sell you cardinals unless you bring in a water sample.

Don't beat yourself up, there wasn't anything you could do.

A couple things--cardinals are delicate fish, and should only be added to a well established tank (3-6 months up and running). Most are caught in the wild, with only a few (more expensive ones) actually tank raised. This means that they may not do well with pH and hardness ranges outside of their natural range (6.0 to 6.5 pH and 5-10dGH). I kept mine alive for 8 months, and they were doing fine until I introduced hatchets with ich in the tank.

I used store bought ro water, and added trace elements to it before using it (I used these products ). The water was very soft and very acid and they loved it.

Back
Top Bottom