Lost my pleco, red spot bloated belly

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Deminox

Aquarium Advice Regular
I know i added this at the end of my old thread, but since its separate i thought maybe i should make it its own thread. Im unsure the etiquette on this. Anyways...

Small bushy nose pleco, got him almost 2 years ago. Was about half an inch long. Died about 5.5" long. Stopped eating a few days ago, but his belly was bloated despite not eating. Also he has a small red almost blister on his side.

He died last night. I got the water tested with a fresh liquid kit today. Amonia is a hair over zero, but not even halfway to 0.25, the chart doesnt break it down any lower but it is much closer to 0. Its on par with my tap water. Nitrates are clean. Nitrites are clean. Ph is 6.8 kh is 5. Temp is 72. The tank is 29 gallons

That has been the water chemistry since the tank cycled. This tank never experienced any spikes, the pleco was never in the smaller tank that had problems way back when i first signed up here. Please, bear this in mind. I also have 2 filters, a bubbler, an airstone, some banana plants. I gravel vac debris 3 to 4 times a week, and do a weekly water change, plus occasionally smaller water changes more frequently as needed.

Now the part everyone flips out over and completely ignores the previous info. I have 2 not fully grown ryukin goldfish. They are each about 4 to 5 inches now, so just for space wise im getting them into a 40 or 50 gallon after Christmas. I know, goldfish = water quality. People assume 2 goldfish in a 29 gallon equals instant toxic water. Please, before concluding goldfish poop killed my pleco due to a stressed out bioload and bad water, re-read that part again about the levels that i have been having. If it helps, pretend i dont have goldfish, give your advice assuming i have, uh, guppies or something. I'm super diligent with the water quality.

Back to the pleco. He stopped eating a few days ago. There was a small possible fungal problem in the tank a month ago, treated it and he was fine all through the treatment, and after it too. This is weeks after any medication has been in the tank. He just.. Stopped eating. No zuchini, no grape, no bella mushroom, not even peas in some garlic juice. (i read the garlic is a natural antiseptic for the fish and helps them, theres a good site on how to prepare garlic to soak it and make a very light liquid that is fish safe).

In addition to him dying as stated way above, and in pictures to follow, the only thing i can think of is he was doing 'flips' on occasion in the summer. (i made a thread about it. Not many replies). More barrell rolls than flips.

If you combine the pristine water levels, the barrell roll/ flips he had done for a while, the sudden lack of appetite, the bloated belly, the red mark, and pretend i dont have goldfish... What does that say to you? Parasite? Viral septicemia? Huge infection?

The goldfish are acting relatively well. Nothing notable in behavior, no physical symptoms on them. I'm taking the pictures of my pleco to the fish breeder i know at the end of the week, but if this is something i need to act immediately on, id rather not wait to treat if its an obvious thing.

Sorry for the long post, i like to just state everything that could even possibly be related.

Sent from my VS986 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

ive experienced the same thing with some plecos.. strange deaths when the water is fine and i take care of the tank they just realize they are 2 years old and need to die.... never had a pleco made it over 2 years they die after about a year n a half. idk really

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

This is the picture.

I feel a little better knowing they can randomly die around that age. Everything i read says they can live for 12 years so I'm really hoping it's just that and not something dangerous to the tank.

Sounds like turkeys honestly. Out of 6 to 8 babies, only 1 or 2 grow to full adulthood, some die very very young, but at least a few will get almost full size then bam. No logical reason, just dead.

I hope its that. I'll be worried until i can talk to the guy who helped me set up the tank.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Sent from my VS986 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1447726406887.jpg
    1447726406887.jpg
    189.5 KB · Views: 472
im not sure if i helped much but you might want to buy 6 regular plecos and see what happens out of the bunch... keep the healthiest 1 er 2 then trade the others in for store credit.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom