Lowering ph

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Angelfish56 said:
In my angelfish tank it is to alkaline 8.4

If your have strong buffers in your tap water, then it's a tough nut to crack. I've tried some if the store bought stuff and IMO, you can save your money because none of it worked.

Gonna try a couple other things, but it looks like RO water with Seachems Nourish to lock the pH in at 7.0 and Replenish for vital minerals RO removes is gonna be the only way I can do it.

If you figure out a better way, please let me know.

Sent from my Epic 4G using Aquarium Advice App

Fixed it went to store and got this

Attachments

• image-2445559389.jpg
    image-2445559389.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 88
I've heard of few people getting a plastic trash can and filling it up with conditioned water. Throw a heater in there with the right temperature of your aquarium and put an airstone in. Let the water air rate for 24 hours and then the PH will lower. Chlorine will also evaporate out within 24 hours but not chloramines. So be sure to condition the water.

I'm gonna try this method when I get my new 75 gallon if I get Discus to make sure the PH is low enough for them.

I've heard of few people getting a plastic trash can and filling it up with conditioned water. Throw a heater in there with the right temperature of your aquarium and put an airstone in. Let the water air rate for 24 hours and then the PH will lower. Chlorine will also evaporate out within 24 hours but not chloramines. So be sure to condition the water.

I'm gonna try this method when I get my new 75 gallon if I get Discus to make sure the PH is low enough for them.

I do something similar. My tap is buffered to 10-10.5 in the area (I'm told so it doesn't corrode pipes) with a gas. I have to let it sit overnight or aerate it for 2-4 hours before the PH comes down to a steady 7.6. Kind of sucks since I can't use my water changer directly, but oh well.

That's just how my water is though. Mileage will vary depending on the area and what they're doing to the water.

I've tried the fill and wait that you're talking about. Didn't move down at all. Gonna try Seachem's Acid Buffer and see if that'll do it. I did find an RO unit that's highly recommended here, less than $150 and can produce 100gpd. Since I'm planning a move to the salty side soon, I'll need it anyways.

How about peat moss granules? It lowered my pH slowly from 7.6 to 6.6. You'll have to replace it once a month though.

roydooms said:
How about peat moss granules? It lowered my pH slowly from 7.6 to 6.6. You'll have to replace it once a month though.

I have peat moss, but haven't tried it yet and I can't find the PM granules anywhere and I tried from wallyworld to a high end garden store.

Mr. Limpet said:
I have peat moss, but haven't tried it yet and I can't find the PM granules anywhere and I tried from wallyworld to a high end garden store.

Try home depot. Get the ones with no chemicals or fertilizers. It's a lot cheaper. I don't want to take chances though. That's why I just buy the fluval PM.

Back
Top Bottom