Lump on goldfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fatfei

Aquarium Advice Activist
Does anyone know what this is? It's a lump what appears to be getting bigger on the fish, the scales has started to peel back as their bulge of the lump comes from underneath. I thought maybe it's a tumour or something but another Fish has started to get the same lump on its body. I've started to treat the water with bacterial medicine but no idea if it's the right treatment or not.

I've checked the usual suspects water quality etc all are fine. The aquarium is understocked.

Best regards

Fei20181218_115334~2.jpg20181218_115332~2.jpeg

There's several different types of sporozoan cysts. Narrowing it down to what it is specifically is the hard part. With tumor's there's really no cure outside of cutting them out.....by a very experienced aquarist or a professional. There's also benign tumors and cancerous tumors. With cancerous you will see more starting on it's body and it's best to euthanize. Let me look into the cysts a little bit and get back with you on possible treatment. I know many are parasitic.

Doesn't look like there's any treatment to stop the growth if it's a tumor. Just keep his water clean. From what I'm reading....if it's a parasitic cyst/lesion there is also no treatment but can be contracted by other fish in your tank so quarantine and/or euthanizing would be necessary. It seems as though if the lump isn't missing scales and isn't an obvious open type sore then it is a tumor and not parasitic.

Thanks king fish, a lot of information to go over. I appreciate the help. I'll see what it's like tomorrow and then if need be remove it from the tank.

Back
Top Bottom