Lump on my fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I kinda see the lump your talking about but its hard to tell whats sticking up from the photos. I'll have to trust your eyes. He must be a little fish

He is. He's a platy and not very big at all. It has to b dropsy it looks just like it. I just can't figure out why it's towards the back and in such a small spot. He's pooping fine though. But I'm getting that medicine as soon as I go to town in a few hours

Can I only order that medication online or would my local fish store have it? I don't wanna have to order if I can pick it up today. And how exactly do I use it? Do I soak the fish flakes in both meds and mix?

Unless you have a specialty fish store the chances of them carrying it are low. I git lucky one but its worth a try.
I take and make a gel food out of mashed boiled peas. You can find recipies for gel food online. I just mix mashed boiled greens and knox unflavored gelatin. Following the directions on the package of course.
I dont exactly have a recipie too it but I measure the amount of tablespoons or teaspoons whichever the food directions on the kanaplex call for and then put in said amount of scoops. Let it sit in the fridge overnight to solidify. Sometimes depending on the amount of gelitan used the mixture may be too tough and you might have to make it again. I never got it quite down sorry :(

Okay thanks! Ill try that. Ill order today and when it comes ill let you know more info and maybe I can figure it out. I didn't know if you could mix t wih flake food or not

It will be here Wednesday. And I need to buy gel to mix with all of this?

I usually make my own. Just use boiled mashed greens and gelitan. Theres recipies try google searching fish gel food recipie

Ok so what about peas. Can I use those and just boil them and use the gelatin and then freeze and thaw and then feed? Of corse mixing it with those two medications I bought.

The focus isnt a medication but simply a binder to help the medication adhere to the food better.you dont need to freeze it. Just refridgerate overnight.

Here this might help :)
P.s if you just use boiled veggies you can usually just mash them together with a spoon. I do anyway :)

Ok my focus came and not the med! It will be here tommoro :( so I guess I will have to wait. But I could probably make the food up and then just mix the med in tommoro. Thanks for the video!

Also I had an old platy die not to long ago that I posted about on another forum. It didn't have this dropsy but it showed similar signs. It's tail began to fray. The clear edge that holds three tail together per say, just withered away. So the tail was just all frayed and not attached. I tried everything for it. Then it's spine became curved and it finally died. No idea what it was. I just noticed this ones tail today starting to do the same thing. It's not fin rot. Looks nothing like it although I know my explanation makes you think that. Any ideas? My med for dropsy still hasn't came yet.

Ok I can't figure this out! This fish is doing the exact same as the other one! It's not fin or tail rot. It's tail just becomes shredded more and more each day. There is no discoloration or tearing or rotting black color. It's like the outside layer that holds the little millions of fins together just fades away. So the tail is like a line of shredded paper. It shreds in lines not across like tail and fin rot. I can't figure it out! I did a salt bath today to help with the dropsy and gave it a pea but it hasn't touched it.

=\ are you sure its not fin rot?? I have no idea what on earth would cause such a thing other than inbred mutation I suppose. Curved spines often are due to that. Let me do some googling and get back to you.

"Fish may lose color and appetite and become hollow-bellied. Fish become lifeless and often crippled—with a bent spine. Fish develop ulcers under the skin and may rupture causing open sores and "pop-eye." Anything sound familiar by these symptoms??
If these sounds familiar you might be dealing with tb. Fish tuberculosis. Be carefull around the water. This is the only aquarium deasise humans can catch..

Yes! My other one lost color and appetite. This one still has its color though. My other one also had a curved spine. This one doesn't as of now. The bulging eyes I haven't experienced at all in either one.

This might help
image-3739358574.jpg

Attachments

• image-3705008614.jpg
    image-3705008614.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 46
  • image-2665834858.jpg
    image-2665834858.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 50
Can I use kanaplex for all the fish? Since it can be absorbed and doesn't have to be fed? I was just wondering if it would help knock something out before they got symptoms

Yes you could :) sorry I havent been replying. I'm helping my bf fundraise money for baseball camp and this weekend was our yard sale. I'm back now.

The reason we talked about feeding was due to dropsy. But since now we belive it to be not be dropsy you can try giving the medication just through the water.

Back
Top Bottom