Maintaining Filter Cycle During Med Dosing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Banjoplucker

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi, I have removed my 5 remaining cichlids from my main tank to a hospital tank, and I am dosing both tanks with an Ich treatment.

Is it likely that my main tank’s filter maturity will suffer over the next 10 days without fish present and having Ich treatment added? If so, is it advisable to apply a testing kit and apply drops of ammonia to ensure levels are correct ahead of reintroducing my fish?

You could put some raw shrimp in a panty hose and hang it in the tank or add fish food to your tank.

I'm not sure about ich meds and a cycle. Ive never had to use meds to treat ich.

Salt added and temp increased

Yes, food tip is good, and I have already added salt and upped the temperature to at least 27C.

There are still a few trumpet snails in there, as well, but I hope their numbers drop off with reduced food, mind.

I think you could bump the temp up slowly to 30C. Do 25% water changes daily with a gravel vacuum to pick up any ich eggs.

Water change during ich treatment

Thank you. That was another question on my mind: water changes. A strategy is coming together!:thanks:

I know you've started with aquarium salt. What I usually do is add 1 TEAspoon per 5 gallons of water. Then at day 4 I bump it up to 2 TEAspoons per 5 gallons of water.

Salt, water changes, gravel vacs, and 30C temperature has always worked for me. And I usually catch it early. I'd probably medicate if the fish had advanced stages of ich.

Beyond advanced. Remaining fish in hospital tank so I have free reign in my main tank to up temp and dose with treatments. Just renewed my test kit for when I have to put them back in.

If it's real bad I'd use copper in your quarantine tank. No carbon. If you have the means to take all the fish out of your main tank that's great. Ich will die off if it doesn't have a host.

Back
Top Bottom