Male Gourami Killer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Onewayoflife

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
i'm sorry if this is in the wrong place, but i am at my wits end. the first 2 fish i got were a pair of dwarf gouramis. the male is constantly attacking the femail. she looks ill and her fins are ripped up (or something- there are gaps in her 'tail'). How do i solve this? at the moment, the male is in a plastic bag and floating in the tank like when you buy a new fish. PLEASE HELP!! I DON'T WANT TO LOSE ANY FISH!!

Can you upload your pictures? It is more than likely that you were sold two males; LFS stores rarely sell females. If that is the case, then the aggression will not stop and you will need to rehome one of them.

1) Male Gourami
2) Female Gourami (with damaged tail)
3) How they are now (very temporary)

Attachments

• IMGA0119.JPG
    IMGA0119.JPG
    45.9 KB · Views: 99
  • IMGA0123.JPG
    IMGA0123.JPG
    61 KB · Views: 97
  • IMGA0122.JPG
    IMGA0122.JPG
    51.3 KB · Views: 100
Looks to me like two males. The second is a powder blue dwarf. If they're aggressive they'll have to be separate; can you take one back?

i will try. Would the fish shop not know they are aggressive with each other? (they were sold as a pair- and were in the same tank in the shop)

lfs don't know the facts sadly. i found out the same thing the hard way. i bought 4 DG and they said they are very peaceful. little did i know they are territorial especially against other males. they are now in 3 different tanks.

i will try. Would the fish shop not know they are aggressive with each other? (they were sold as a pair- and were in the same tank in the shop)

I'm not sure, and I'm not 100% on the ID there, but sometimes the fish shop doesn't know or gives unreliable advice.

I have DG and they're definitely two males. One looks like a honey gourami, the other a powder blue. Can you possibly rehome them or take one back?

They're both dwarf gouramis I think; the top one might be a hybrid or a neon red.

Back
Top Bottom