Male guppy panting on bottom of tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dragon14

Aquarium Advice Addict
Our beautiful male guppy, Gupp Gupp, is laying down on the sand in our 20g community tank and panting kinda hard. He gets up once in a while to swim a little but is mostly hanging out on the bottom and panting.

I thought he looked a little fat the last few days.

I have no idea what could be wrong. We love this little guy and want to help him if we can.

Any ideas?

I'm thinking either "boring diet syndrome" or constipation or bloat need pics.
Move him gently into a quarantine jar or tank and give him a deshelled smashed pea thats soft. also vary the diet (of all the fish) with some biweekly peas and spirulina flakes. I raise guppies.

Thank you we'll try that.

He went to hide in a decoration but a bratty shrimp had to go in there so now he's panting on the bottom of the tank again.

Every night we feed a few small pieces of Omega One veggie rounds and a decent sprinkling of Omega One color micro pellets.

We have 6 Amano shrimp, 6 Pygmy catfish, 1 bn pleco, 2 panda cories and 6 harlequin rasboras in the tank as well.

It's really hard to get pictures :( He looks as though he could possibly be bloated.

I'm not sure if we should put him through the stress of moving him but. He's panting hard. He hasn't moved from this newest spot in about 15 minutes now at least.

From a top view, he looks kind of bloated & maybe like he could be a little bristly, but the bristly could just be me being super super tired.

We moved him last night to our 2.5g 5b Deep Blue tank. I gave him some pea.

He passed during the night. :'(

His body is pale and bloated. Even his beautiful orange tail paled quite a bit :(

Rest in Peace Gupp Gupp.

In the future you can try epsom salt. There is alot of internal worms going around in the hobby lately, i wouldn't be suprised if this sudden bloat was caused by a paraiste his intestines did not like.

Thanks.

Where would parasites come from? We've had him since he was a tiny little fry.

I'm really sad. He was an awesome fish. So full of zest and life.

Back
Top Bottom