Male guppy with bloated belly.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

splintercat

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I noticed yesterday that one of my male guppies in my 10gal has a bloated belly. He isn't hanging out with his friends or trying to charm the ladies and seems to only be swimming at the top of the tank, just hanging out at the back. He seems to be swimming at a slight angle with his head below his tail (you can see in the picture). His scales appear to be normal, so I don't think it's dropsy... Also, when I got home from work today I noticed that he had some stringy poo.
Today I did a 30%-ish water change. All my water parameters have not changed - 10 nitrate 0 nitrite stable hardness, alkalinity and pH. I always have a hard time telling the ammonia levels, but I think it's at 0 (possibly verging on .25).
I did take a bunch of plants out a couple of days since I got a new 29 gallon and wanted to help seed the new tank, so that could be reason for the possibility of a bit of ammonia. None of the other fish seem to be affected (there is a total of 8 guppies, 2 snails, and a betta in the tank).
I haven't fed any of my guppies since I noticed this guy's belly yesterday and they've been eating flakes for the last few days. They had blood worms probably 3-4 days ago. Should I separate him and fast him until tomorrow and see if that helps? Or should I start looking into medications?

Attachments

• DSC_0076.jpg
    DSC_0076.jpg
    253.8 KB · Views: 94
Back
Top Bottom