Male molly hiding and swimming frantically

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fredje

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi there,

From one day to the next my male gold dust molly started behaving weird, hiding deep inside rocks and only occasionally coming out just to swim frantically to another hiding spot.

Water conditions are 0 N02 and 0 NH4, 15ppm N03 in a 47G/180l Juwel Rio 180 tank (with Bioflow 3.0) kept at 76/24.5 degr.
Other inhabitants: 6 neons, 1 red tail black shark, 3 female mollies and 5 babies, 3 zebra danios, 2 female + 1 male guppies and 1 lonely red phantom tetra.

The only recent change is the addition of CO2 to the planted tank, but only @ 1.5 bubbles/sec which has caused a pH drop from 7.6 to 7.2 at a hardness of 6. I run an aerator at night for safety. I did have one neon die from neon tetra disease about a week ago.

So conditions are not ideal for mollies in my community tank, but the other ones (3 females and 5 babies) look completely fine.

I managed to catch and put him in an improvised 10l nursery tank with water taken from the main tank tank, a seeded 300l filter, aerator and temperature set at 82.5/28 degrees. Also added a teaspoon of sea salt (I don't have aquarium kind) to it.

He seems to be doing better: he's eating and seems calmer.

I wonder what is/was wrong with him? I can't see any spots, fungi, ...

Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Fred

Attachments

• male molly sick.jpg
    male molly sick.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 106
In my experience mollies need a ph of 7.5 or more so maybe the ph drop is affecting him? Did you notice the improvement after you added the salt?
I had problems with a few of my mollies, thinking they had shimmies caused by lack of minerals and I added more salt, which improved them. Mollies sometimes need salt to thrive though I've found some of mine do need it and some don't.. Though also while I was wondering what was going on with mine and why most were fine and only 1 was off colour with no markings, acting how you described yours to be, my water parameters were fine.. On closer inspection the one acting odd has internal parasites. Obviously it might not be the same diagnosis but I was facing the same baffling problem. I would advise trying adding salt (you need to check it won't harm the others first) and see how he is.
I found mine had internal parasitises by red lines under the skin on her top fin and tail, but there are other symptoms I'm sure but this is my personal experience,
Hope he's ok!

Sorry that should say try adding more salt if you can*

Thanks Ursi.
I don't see any obvious signs of parasites, or anything unusual but then again I don't have a trained eye.
I will keep him for a few days in his salt bath with daily 50% water changes and then see if he can stay healthy in the main tank.

Unfortunately adding salt is not an option for my community tank.

That's a good plan :) hope it works for you!

The hot salt bath did work. I reintroduced him in the main tank today and he's so happy he's been catching up for lost time with the females all day :)

Back
Top Bottom