Male Platy Looks Real Bad.. In QT Now.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

noteworthy

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have 5 females and 1 male platy in my 29G tank. It is still cycling and I've been checking on that info... anyway the 5 females swim around the tank everywhere. At night the male seems to move around more and spend time with the females. However when I have the lights on during the day he just sits in the top right corner of the tank isolated from all the other fish that swim around.

Why is he doing this?

He also didn't eat this morning

Ph 7.7
Nitrite .25
Ammonia ?? ppm

Re: Male Platy Floating In Corner

noteworthy said:
Ammonia 1 ppm - it is down from 2 (false readings from chloramine)

I'm confused, the ammonia in your tank went from 2 to 1? There shouldn't be any chloramine in your tank, so I don't know how that would give you a false reading...?

I'm speculating the water conditioner didn't mix completely to remove chloramine.. which is a combo of chlorine and ammonia... chloramine will show up as ammonia if not treated for..

it is just a guess tho.

Actually, most water treatments that treat chloramine, split the bond between ammonia and chlorine (which is what chloramine is). Mature tanks take care of the ammonia quickly and you never really see it, but tanks that are cycling generally can't and it can register. Some ammonia tests also can't tell the difference between detoxified ammonia aka ammonium (some treatments that claim to "remove" ammonia; they just turn it into a non toxic form) and the deadly ammonia. Nesslers can't tell; salicytes tests can.

Not sure why he is isolating himself, but isolating and not eating can be signs of disease...are there any other signs?

It looks like he is breathing harder than the other fish.

Tonight I noticed him laying down on the bottom of the aquarium

I'd isolate him and get him out of the tank; I'm pretty sure he's sick, especially if he's breathing heavy and laying on the bottom.

Putting him into a tank with fresh clean water may be enough to help him fight whatever this is off. Ammonia will reduce a fish's immune system if not kill them, and prob is what made him susceptible.

He's dead now.

I guess he had a bacterial infection in the gills. Then his swim bladder quit working and he died :cry:

None of the other fish seem to be having any problems.

Allivymar said:
Actually, most water treatments that treat chloramine, split the bond between ammonia and chlorine (which is what chloramine is). Mature tanks take care of the ammonia quickly and you never really see it, but tanks that are cycling generally can't and it can register. Some ammonia tests also can't tell the difference between detoxified ammonia aka ammonium (some treatments that claim to "remove" ammonia; they just turn it into a non toxic form) and the deadly ammonia. Nesslers can't tell; salicytes tests can.

Arrgh. I should have remembered that. :oops: I am also having trouble today with some thought processes. Like wondering why water isn't going into the test tube when it's upside down.

Sorry about your platy noteworthy. :(

noteworthy, I am so sorry to hear that. Keep an eye on the others. Although, the male was probably weaker from the start.

Back
Top Bottom