Manny the Blackmoor GoldFish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Anything is possible. The condition doesn't seem to be worsening and his fins don't seem to be broken, or stringy or anything. It almost looks like they are just changing colors. He is eating and behaving normally.

I am feeding him the medicated food. So, hopefully that will help.

Todays Update:

Manny seems to be his normal self. He still has the white on his fins, but as far as I can see it is still no worsening. He does see to be missing on scale on his side, but that does not seem to be bothering him at all.

If it is fin rot, what is the best treatment? I had considered adding some salt.

My concern with adding the salt is this: I have some Nerite snail eggs hanging out in the tank right now. Now, as you may or may not know, Nerite snails are not a-sexual like other snails and require a male for fertilization, which I do not know if I have. They also require brackish to salt water or they will die very soon after hatching. My concern is that at this time I dont really want them to hatch. So, if I had salt will it make my water brackish?

The missing scale is no big deal. It will grow back. My boys knock each other around alot & are always missing a scale or two & they grow back in a few weeks.

No harm in adding a low dose of salt (1 tablesp per 10g) as a theraputic treatment. I honestly dont know what salinity nerites require to hatch (if the eggs are fertilized). You can simply dispose of the eggs if you do not want them right now.

I have considered trying to remove the eggs, but the snails have been very creative in the egg placement, and without disrupting Manny's cave and several plants I cant easily get to them, and Manny gets visibly agitated when I mess with his cave. Since he may already have something going on I didn't want to stress him out any more than needed.

I may go for it and try to add the salt slowly, Nerite snails arent the worst thing that has ever happened to a tank.... LOL

I just so badly want him to be healthy!!!!

If you dont see any improvement in the next day or so, I want you to continue feeding him the med food & add some nitrofurazone to his water. The most common product with this is API's Furan 2 (most Petsmarts carry it). It complements the kanamycin food & they work better together than either alone. Keep us posted!

Thank you! I will continue to monitor and if I dont see improvement I will do that.

Is this Ich??? I really hope not! My Manny has been though so much!

I just need some confirmation and I will begin treatment.....

His water levels have been off the last couple of weeks because I just discovered that nitrate levels in our tap water have risen from less than 5ppm to nearly 10ppm. It has completely thrown off my water change shedule, I wish I would have caught the issue sooner.

Oops! Forgot to attach the picture.

Attachments

• 2012-03-20 13.50.17.jpg
    2012-03-20 13.50.17.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 19
Oh my goodness! Poor Manny!!! I cant tell absolutely from the pic because i cant tell what is on him & what is floating in the water. Does he look like he sand/salt sprinkled on him? If so, then i would begin treatment. Goldfish dont respond to heat treatment as well as tropicals & i dont even know if you even have a heater. I would opt for salt or ich-meds- theres quite a few available. Let us know what happens! Good luck to Manny!!!!

I have started salt treatment. I don't have a heater. It seems like a lot of people think that the salt is the best treatment, and since my snails can live in both salt and freshwater I feel good about this course of treatment. I hate to treat the whole tank with meds if not needed!

I agree with the salt! Its an all natural approach & the best means for treating ich in goldfish. Keep us posted!

Back
Top Bottom