Maracide vs Maracide w/biospheres?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TygGer

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have an older bottle of Maracide that is running low. So I went out to purchase a new bottle that was in different packaging than the previous. After comparing the labels, the new Maracide w/ biospheres does not cover as many diseases as the older bottle. It also states to use 2 cap fulls! Versus the older bottle which states to use just 10 drops.

Am I missing something here? Whats the difference in the two and why does the newer one require soo much?

I checked their webpage, and it doesn't mention mixing the 2 products anywhere (Maracide which is for parasites and Biospheres which is I believe an antibiotic) for sale as such. However, Biospheres isn't even listed on the Mardel webpage. Can you take a peek and tell us what the ingredients are?

Ok...interesting. I came across a description of the Biospheres stuff (your link didn't work tyg) at http://www.enkoi.com/medications/biospheres.html:

"Biospheres AntiBacteria Therapy is formulated with positively charged microspheres that are instantly attracted to the naturally negative charge of aquatic life, so that it treats the fish, not the water.

The ingredient chitosan acts as a binding agent so that the medicated microspheres adhere to the affected areas of the fish and release two powerful antibiotics over time. Kills bacteria that causes mouth fungus, fin and tail rot, popeye, dropsy and ulcers."

I'm not sure how much I believe all that. Couldn't find any info on Maracide with the Biospheres, but I'm guessing they added the biospheres (the chitosan) for the same reason. Interestingly enough, chitosan is also being used as a diet pill; its supposed to bind the fat and prevent it from being absorbed. Doesn't work.

However, malachite green is one of the treatments for parasites, so there's that I guess. I'd email the company and ask them; let them explain why there has been a change (my guess is they reduced the levels of malachite green since it can be deadly to fish).

Back
Top Bottom