Maracyn

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Regen311

Aquarium Advice Freak
What is the difference between:

Maracyn
Maracyn 2
Maracyn TC
Maracyn plus biospheres
Tetracycline
Trisulfa

All are made by mardel. I'm just confused because they all seem to be recommended as treatment for the same things... Which kind is best? Or does it depend on the situation? I don't really need any of them right now, just have been reading up on some things and am curious and confused :) Thanks!

Let me see if I can remember. :)

Maracyn is Erythromycin and treats mainly gram + infections.
Maracyn 2 is Minocycline and treats mainly gram - infections
Maracyn TC is Tetracycline. good for fin rot, and is broad spectrum.
No idea what Maracyn plus biospheres is.
TriSulfa is a combo of a bunch of sodium sulfacides or something like that, broad spectrum I think.

A lot of people use Maracyn 2 the most, because most bacteria diseases (which are what these are for) are gram negative. Some people use both Maracyn and Maracyn 2 together to provide a truly broad spectrum treatment. I've seen Tetracycline suggested mainly for fin rot. Never used TriSulfa, but it sounds good. It's not antibiotics, so I would assume it has less tendency to mess with water quality than does the others that are antibiotics.

HTH

Awesome. Thanks! I like to read different things about fish when i have the time and am bored, so I just came across that and was wondering what the differences were. Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom