maracyn and parasite clear together?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sahabo

Aquarium Advice FINatic
anyone know if one can use maracyn I and parasite clear at the same time? I did only one dose of maracyn today on the 10 gallon, but after observing even more I see my fish rubbing against the tank, so probably a parasite. should I use carbon to get rid of the maracyn before using the parasite med?

anyone know if one can use maracyn I and parasite clear at the same time? I did only one dose of maracyn today on the 10 gallon, but after observing even more I see my fish rubbing against the tank, so probably a parasite. should I use carbon to get rid of the maracyn before using the parasite med?

Why exactly did you treat the tank with Maracyn?

yes, it's my betta. it looked like what i thought was the start of columnaris, and I believe Maracyn I is an effective treatment. I know I should have observed more thoroughly before treating, but hindsight is 20/20. (Please, no lectures about treating without knowing the illness. I know I made a mistake so let's move on.) Now that I've used a microscope and a flashlight, I'm not so sure what it is. But he is rubbing against the glass and gravel. I've attached a picture.

There are 3 spots that are not normal. One is white (growth?) on the side of his head and seems to be protruding beneath his scale. The other two are different. I thought they were grayish/white, but on closer inspection look more orange/red, they are on top of his head and look slightly recessed in the skin. A few days ago, I noticed one spot on his head that I thought was a phsyical injury and it seemed to fade over time. But then I noticed a similar spot appear on his head just this morning. As for the white growth, it appeared yesterday and seems a bit bigger today, pushing his scale out.

You can see the white growth and one of the other spots in the pic.

Perhaps it is not a parasite and he's rubbing because the skin is irritated. I don't see anything actually moving on him. I won't treat with another med until I know what he's got.

Attachments

• IMG_1576.jpg
    IMG_1576.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 103
No, I'm not going to lecture you. Nor anyone else. Maracyns are different meds I think. I know one is erythromycin which of course is an antibiotic. Fungus is a word too loosely used to describe white on a fish. And of course Columnaris is often called fungus when in reality it is a bacterium.

My concern is,,as is with many people, the arbitrary dose of these antibiotics that aquarists have been conditioned to use.

Let's look at Maracyn. It is labelled erythromycin which is a broad spectrum antibiotic used to primarily treat gram negative bacteria. The instructions say to use one tablet per ten gallons of water. Okay, that's easy. So what is the dose for a fish? Every fish is different when it comes to osmotic activity. Fish are all different when it comes to weight, metabolism, etc. So how is dumping a tablet in 10 gallons of water medicating anything by a weight/milligram dosage. It is not. It is a shot in the dark.

Now, what is happening in your tank when you add these broad spectrum antibiotics?
They are not just affecting your fish but everything in your tank. The bacteria that cause disease problems exist naturally in your tank and all around you. And when we just arbitrarily use these antibiotics they can kill some bacteria, and more importantly can cause some to become resistant to these antibiotics.

If you can get your hands on a february edition of Freshwater And Marine Aquarium magazine(Fama), there is a great article by Dr Mark Mitchell DVM on treating fish. He goes into more detail about how fish can be effectively treated with medications and the one way they cannot be effectively treated is by dumping things in the water.

Incidentally, the federal government is finally taking a close look at the aquarium industry's chemical additives including antibiotics. And finally hopefully there will be some control over uses for this.

It is easily out of the scope of most aquarists to properly diagnose diseases without cultures. Certainly most aquarists cannot identify a bacterium and choose the proper antibiotic and properly administer it to a fish based on weight/milligrams.

All any of us can do is go to the store and buy a box of something and trust it will work. And the problem with this is that there are no regulations controlling what is sold and there are no regulations in place to force product labels to tell the truth.

Fixing problems in fish should be more about fixing the habitat and the water parameters so that the fishes' immune system can fix the problem.

Unless an aquarist can identify specifically what is wrong with a fish, and can dose the appropriate medication to that fish in an effective way then we are all creating hazards not only in the tank, but into our homes and environment.

Bill

Point taken, Bill, and thanks for the info. My water parameters are fine, I do a 20% PWC weekly and everything seems stable. So without having a culture, any thoughts on my fish?

If he were mine and he was acting normal and eating normal I would just concentrate on good water quality and a good diet. If the bumps got worse or he was bothered by them more I might be tempted to put a dab of tea tree oil on them with a q-tip. You can get pure tea tree oil from any well stocked holistic store. It is a small bottle and the oil has shown consistantly that it can kill bacteria and fungus. A direct dab of this will often fix sores on fish that just don't want to heal. But I would avoid this treatment unless nescessary. Bill

Back
Top Bottom