Maracyn Replacements

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Super_Blueberry

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So I haven't had a chance to do a ton of research, but from what I can tell Maracyn Plus & Maracyn 2 have been discontinued since I have last purchased it. That stuff have always been the best for me, so I'm curious what you all have found to be a good substitute.

Let me know!!

Kanamycin is the best antibiotic on the market today, from its predecessor Terramycin the best antibiotic on the market back in the day. Just don't overdose with kanamycin, it can cause kidney damage, be as exact as you can, like its cocaine or something. And use directly as directed! lol
(yes i have killed a Guppy before using too much of this stuff on him)
Its expensive and it dosent seem like much, just a tiny little scoop into a ten gallon, but its powerful stuff.

So I haven't had a chance to do a ton of research, but from what I can tell Maracyn Plus & Maracyn 2 have been discontinued since I have last purchased it. That stuff have always been the best for me, so I'm curious what you all have found to be a good substitute.

Let me know!!

Interesting information! Thanks for relaying this!

Ok, Maracyn is erythromycin (gram+). Maracyn2 is minocycline (gram-). Maracyn Plus is SMT (sulfamethazine trimethoprim) which is more broad spectrum but favors gram+.

Most of these meds are available online through other brands, on EBay (Aquatic pharmacy), from National Fish Pharmecuticals or through international sellers. API still sells erythro and sulfa antibiotics. The other option is to seek similar classes of meds such as kanamycin for a gram- antibiotic (better choice than mino anyway!) or triple sulfa for SMT (not as effective though). Hope this helps!

I wonder why they would discontinue Minocycline tho? It works pretty well as long as the water isnt too hard, its something diffrent to hit them with that bacteria dosnent really have a tolerance for yet at least.... I hope all pet stores don't start this "live green" type of crap, yeah i understand the best cure is prevention, but when they sell you sick fish, and only sell homopatheic meds like melafix, its like their trying to make money.

I wonder why they would discontinue Minocycline tho? It works pretty well as long as the water isnt too hard, its something diffrent to hit them with that bacteria dosnent really have a tolerance for yet at least.... I hope all pet stores don't start this "live green" type of crap, yeah i understand the best cure is prevention, but when they sell you sick fish, and only sell homopatheic meds like melafix, its like their trying to make money.

Good question. I am sure Mardel's PR team have typical responses as to why they would discontinue their entire antibiotic line (not profitable, etc) but it does make me wonder if this may be a sign of things to come. As the US is pretty much the only country that does not regulate aquatic meds, I suspect this may change in the not so far future.

So I just did a quick ebay search for the chemical names listed above, and I found various listings for Minocycline and Erythromycin products, but nothing for SMT.

First question: does anyone know where I can find SMT?

Second question: looks like I'll be buying capsules of Mino. and Eryth.... Does anyone know what is the ratio of milligrams to gallons I need dose of these?

Thanks again!!

Back
Top Bottom