Medicated fish flakes on new fish in the quarantine?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aneamals

Aquarium Advice Activist
Should I feed medicated fish flakes to new fish I just bought from the fish store, even though it might not be sick at all? You know, as a preventative, since I don't know for sure that it's sick? Is that ok? Will it not stress the fish more? Or cause a possible disease to mutate and become immune to the medication?

If the above answer is yes, feed them medicated fish food as a preventative, then I have more questions. Since there are a few different kinds of medicated fish food, depending on the type of disease, should I feed the fish all the kinds (which is just like 3, at least for Angel Plus)? Or only 1 or 2 kinds, because the other kind(s) might not be as important, or the disease might not be as common, or to lower the stress of the fish that the med food might be causing?

And, are there any other brands of medicated fish food I can buy in a pet store or fish exclusive pet store? Angel Plus looks to be online only, and I'd prefer to buy it in store, but I haven't found any med foods at Petsmart. Or, are there any other online pet stores where I can buy other brands, or the Angel Plus brand from, hopefully for cheaper?

In most cases, pretreating with medication is unnecessary. However, if it's a fish that it notorious for issues, or if the pet store is somewhat questionable, it's not a terrible idea. Usually a quarantine of a few weeks will reveal any issues that the fish may have.

Medicated Fish Food Antibiotics Anti Parasite 5 Pack The Medicine Cabinet | eBay
Ok, thanks. That helps. I want a few platies, and I usually notice a few of them in lots of pet stores have worms or some kind of internal parasite, so I'll probably dose the platies I choose with flakes for internal parasites. c:

I always do. You can get Terramycin medicated food from kens fish.com, its real cheap. Feed them that lightly 3 times a day, and give them some salt and warm temps and also maybe methylene blue. I have done that everytime i get new fish for the last few years, and i never lose a fish anymore. Do it for about a week. But with the methylene, you have to take out your bio filter and put it in another tank and do 25% water change everyday because without bio amonia rises fast in Q tank.

Hi there is there a medicated food to help swim bladder I've tried peas thought she might have like a parasite?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Unfortunately it's not available to send where I live thanks for your help.

Unfortunately it's not available to send where I live thanks for your help.

Really? Dang. I wonder if it ships to where I live too. (I don't technically live in the US.) I only recommended it cause I hear good things about it and it's really popular. What a bummer it doesn't ship overseas.

the post office considers PR part of the USA so will deliver any package there fore the same price as any where else in the country
Kens fish sends food by US priority mail so there should be no problem
there phone # is 508-823-4043 9-5 est call him and ask what you should use and if he can ship it to you
my fish love his green crumbles 52% protein high in veggies
he makes the food and is very helpful

Should I feed medicated fish flakes to new fish I just bought from the fish store, even though it might not be sick at all? You know, as a preventative, since I don't know for sure that it's sick? Is that ok? Will it not stress the fish more? Or cause a possible disease to mutate and become immune to the medication?

If the above answer is yes, feed them medicated fish food as a preventative, then I have more questions. Since there are a few different kinds of medicated fish food, depending on the type of disease, should I feed the fish all the kinds (which is just like 3, at least for Angel Plus)? Or only 1 or 2 kinds, because the other kind(s) might not be as important, or the disease might not be as common, or to lower the stress of the fish that the med food might be causing?

And, are there any other brands of medicated fish food I can buy in a pet store or fish exclusive pet store? Angel Plus looks to be online only, and I'd prefer to buy it in store, but I haven't found any med foods at Petsmart. Or, are there any other online pet stores where I can buy other brands, or the Angel Plus brand from, hopefully for cheaper?
I always feed medicated feed for a week when i get new fish. I use Oxytetracycline which is a good strong oldschool Gram negative broad spectrun antibiotic. I also do daily PWC and Keep them warm and Use Methylene Blue dye for a week until im sure they are bacteria/fungus free. Seachrem has a product called paraguard, you might look into that. If not just order your antibiotic feed here:
kensfish.com
Its REALLY cheap, as is most of his stuff.
Edit: you live in australia....then the best you can do is find a true "fish" store and call them and ask for the stuff you would need. Clean warm water plus Paraguard and salt may be all you need to Quaranteen them for a couple weeks.

Are you just after medicated foods? I've had meds posted but not as medicated foods.
Delapool, i know you and me always talking meds, lol
The best way for medicine to work is to enter the fishes body directly thru feed.
You probably know these....
The Ones that are most often mixed with food are...
"Terramycin" Oxytetracycline, Very good Antibiotic
"Kanaplex" Kanamycin sulfate, Very good Antibiotic
"Metranizole" Anti-Parasite, dewormer, Internal antibiotic

The only meds i use that arent feed are those for Ick and protozoan parasites, "Rid Ich Plus" works well, or the old "quick cure" dye they use to sell (Malachite,formalin) tho the feed with metranizol or however its spelled works for SOME protozoans. If your fish have the "skinny" disease, and your sure its not velvet, they could have worms, in wich case you can use Prazipro in the water and the medicated Metroizale feed together.

Delapool, i know you and me always talking meds, lol
The best way for medicine to work is to enter the fishes body directly thru feed.
You probably know these....
The Ones that are most often mixed with food are...
"Terramycin" Oxytetracycline, Very good Antibiotic
"Kanaplex" Kanamycin sulfate, Very good Antibiotic
"Metranizole" Anti-Parasite, dewormer, Internal antibiotic

The only meds i use that arent feed are those for Ick and protozoan parasites, "Rid Ich Plus" works well, or the old "quick cure" dye they use to sell (Malachite,formalin) tho the feed with metranizol or however its spelled works for SOME protozoans. If your fish have the "skinny" disease, and your sure its not velvet, they could have worms, in wich case you can use Prazipro in the water and the medicated Metroizale feed together.

True, true - lol need a new hobby. Plants maybe. I can't even get plants sent interstate as not only is there federal quarantine/restrictions but also state quarantine/restrictions here ( :( )

No, this is all good info. I totally agree on medicated feed, it's just I've never seen it over here. Definitely not in the lfs. Perth in Australia here is a bit isolated from eastern states of Australia so maybe someone in the eastern states would have a better chance.

I was going to have a look again tonight, even online local pet shops have nothing I've seen.

You can mix your own delapool. You should be able to get Kanamycin and Mentraidazole in powder form at least from a true "FISH" store. I have never mixed my own as i am terrible at math and i assume you have to get it in the food somehow not just dump the powder and the flake food in the blender together dry and hit the "puree" button. :lol:

You can mix your own delapool. You should be able to get Kanamycin and Mentraidazole in powder form at least from a true "FISH" store. I have never mixed my own as i am terrible at math and i assume you have to get it in the food somehow not just dump the powder and the flake food in the blender together dry and hit the "puree" button. :lol:

Are there any common medicated fish food brands to research? Would be interesting to see if possible to make your own medicated fish food.

Forgot the web site name (post tomorrow) but Kanaplax can still be bought (have that). Furan 2 is not available but bought that a few months back as well.

Tried searching for medicated fish food with no luck but you almost need the exact spelling of the brand name. The search engine is not that clever.

I really don't know, your gonna have to google that one, i suppose it would be easy enough to thaw out and mix a bunch of daphia or brine shrimp and the appropriate amount of medicine and then re-freeze it. As for dry food you probably would need some special kind of tools

Back
Top Bottom