Medication not seeming to work-- Got new medication

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
One of the hardest things to do is accurately diagnos certain diseases of fish. With any medication, I would always follow the dosage as given on the package. If your fish isn't responding than it's likely something other than what you're treating for. The possiblilty exists that this poor beta has a tumor. Don't give up hope but don't expect miracles.

Give the fish time to heal in some good quality water. Don't overmedicate. If the fish is going to heal at all, time will be the healer.

ooo....I've been away from the forums a while. So the raised scales you were talking about a few weeks ago got worse? Hope she gets better. :)

The raised scales aren't raised anymore except where the bump is. Is it safe to put her in with my other fish or should I still seclude her?

I'd keep her QT'd for now until all her symptoms are gone, it is less stressful for her this way and she will heal faster.

okie dokes... at least the bite wound is healing over, it's just the large like bump on her side that's got me worried :(

Sounds like she is on the mend. Keep an eye on her and keep her water pristine and she should be fine. She's lucky to have you looking after her. (y)

I honestly think it's a parasite... just from your description the parasite may have caused a secondairy infection and that is healing, but the large bump is still there.. could be something inside :? I am not positive but it's just a thought.

I dunno, it was weird... she's the only betta in that tank to have it... and she was only with another female betta who was just the "boss" of the tank, a black molly that I had to shove in there because she beat my male molly up but she's still agressive when it comes to food but she's lower in the hierarchial status there cuz my bettas keep her in line, and then 2 cory catfish... All I can think is that the betta and/or the black molly did something or there was just something funky in the tank and she's the only one out of that WHOLE system that caught it... cuz they're all connected into one sump.... but I'd think if it was anything like that all the bettas would have that problem. I have her on that dropsy medication still cuz I just wanna finish the treatment and see if that makes much difference. I gotta clean out that vase anyways cuz her food is beginning to muck it up >.>

She's got this white thingy on the bump now that just started to be noticed yesterday, it kinda looks like one of her scales disappeared and something's pushing out o.o.... I don't know how to describe it really...

*adds in* I examined it closer and that whole area is squishy and there is a new developed hole in that area, I have no idea what the heck it is o.o

Puriti said:
She's got this white thingy on the bump now that just started to be noticed yesterday, it kinda looks like one of her scales disappeared and something's pushing out o.o.... I don't know how to describe it really...

*adds in* I examined it closer and that whole area is squishy and there is a new developed hole in that area, I have no idea what the heck it is o.o

Internal Parasite... maybe something that laid eggs or something. Some of these fish are imported from who knows where... it could be anything. But i really think some internal parasite medication would be beneficial.

Ditto. Years back I had a goldfish with the same symptoms, but I misdiagnosed it because all the others had just died of dropsy. Something is living in the flesh and growing. Fleshbound parasites can be very hard to treat. You may want to use meds and medicated food. Watch for the raised area to erupt, then move her temporarily, and tear down that tank to make sure the parasite is gone. She'll have a big open wound so water must be pristine. I know bettas don't like melafix but you might try bettafix. It has less tea tree oil but I don't know if that is the only difference.

That's no problem, I have her in a vase so I can just clean it out everyday. I'll go to the store tomorrow and see what I can find, hopefully I have the money @__@

i would get something to go in the water AND some parasite food... just to cover all of your basis.

okay, I'll give that a try cuz she still is eating... My poor baby T.T

Oh, and since there's that hole in the inflamed area wouldn't that be considered "erupted" ...just so i know... cuz I just did clean her vase out (I have it sitting in the 20 gal but it's not in any connection to the water, just so there's heat in it) ...and if it is, then should I probably switch tanks?

just keep changing the water... and the antiparasitic meds should contain antibiotics as well (they usually do).... good luck with her :?

okay, I got the medication. I got the internal parasite food and I had to ask the people there what to use for the water because I couldn't find anything and they gave me that bettafix stuff...

ok good.. you have the parasite food and you can use the bettafix along with that.... although it's really just a mild antiseptic it won't hurt.
So is she eating the parasite food? *cross fingers*

let us know how it goes.. i hope it helps!!!

also at walmart you can get the jungle external parasite tabs... but one tab treats 10 gallons so im not sure if you want to use that :? Just go with the treatement you have now and hopefully it will do the trick!!!

Back
Top Bottom