Medication Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

em1981ma

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi i have recently treated my tank with Anti white spot no 6 from interpret. It's a two dose treatment. I did a dose on sat and second dose on day 4 on tues this week. Everyone has responsed well and no whitespots. I had the room temperature at 27C and added a powerhead to increase surface breakage. I am just wondering what i should do now as the tank is due a water change. I heard that the medication kills the ick at the free swimming stage which is why i think you treat when you see the spots then four days later to catch the free swimming stage. I was going to do a 75% large water change tonight to remove hopefully a large amount of the free swimming parasite. But at same time will i not take half the medication out. The bottle says redose if you want in 7days time. I was wondering should i not readd 75% of the medication back in when i do the water change, even if the bottle doesnt say too?. Also i have seen some stringy white pooh coming from the new fish i have had for about two weeks. She is behaving normally but i know she is the cause of the ick outbreak. Should i treat her for an internal bacteria. I am worried about all this medicating and how it affects my fish i also wanted to put some melafix in as my large black moor has a little wound on his gill which he doesnt seem to be fuss about i just want to use some to help any little wounds cause by the ick parasite. What should i do first?

All fancy goldfish are behaving and eating well. So could the stringy white pooh from the new goldfish just be from stress of moving to a new tank. Its white and orange. (the pellet i feed is orange in colour) I gave then some brocolli and peas yesterday. The pooh isnt long anymore i saw to bits of very long pooh two days after i got her i did have eggs in the tank as well as my current fish had there first egg lay :). Could the pooh be caused by eating eggs. The new tank mate pooh is short now but still stringy and white and orange in colour

If your treating for Ick/External parasites, your not suppose to combine that with treatments for internal bacteria or septima or gut protozoans/worms, wait at least 24-48 hours and do PWC and add carbon to get the water clean for a couple days. The fancy goldfish should pass things like that very easily as they are big strong fish compared to most tropical fish. What exactly do they look like? What makes you think they have ick? Some pictures and a better discription of their symptoms and water/tank setup would help us help you better. Have you fed them anything besides goldfish food?

Hi I have not combined any medications. I have only used anti white spot no 6 from interpret. I have had ick before so I know exactly what it looks like and the symptoms. And the fact that my fish are no longer showing visual signs of ick (I know this does not mean it has been eliminated from the tank as the meds kill the parasite in the free swimming stage). I was just wondering when I could use another treatment as it doesn't say on the anti white spot when to do a waterchange after the second dose or when you can use a different medication such as melafix. So that was my query.

set I have a 42gallon tank with 2 black moors (one is 6inches one is 3inches) 1 calico fantail (4inches) I have recently added a gold fantail she is new addition and the reason for the white spot outbreak. I wanted to have four fancies as I am getting a 79gallon tank in a months time so although I know I am over stocked I wanted the fourth fish to get to know (as it were) and settle in with the other fish before I move them over. So tank will be overstocked for only a month or so. I have an external canister filter 620lphr and an internal filter a eheim 2012 pickup.

stats
ammonia 0
nitrite 0
nitrate 10
ph 7.5

I have decided I will do a large water change sat that means the meds have been in for a week. Then I will leave 7days (it says this on the bottle if you want to redose with anti white spot leave 7days between treatment) if I see no signs of whitespot I wont redose and then perhaps after 7days and a further waterchange I can add the melafix.

I generally feed my fish a small amount 3 times a day. I have goldfish under a year old so I was told they need multiple meals. I feed a varied diet. Premium goldfish pellets, frozen bloodworms, live foods brime shrimp occasionally. And my fish like broccoli, peas and asparagus for veg.

Back
Top Bottom