Medicine for ICK

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bkiggy

Aquarium Advice Addict
Using Garlic Guard, Focus, and Metrocondizole by Seachem for ICK for dwarf puffer and Syno. Anyone else ever tried it??
- what about Thera A

You don't really need medicine for ich. Here's what I do, slowly crank your heater to 86-87 degrees. The key is slow, about a degree an hour. Leave the heat there until a week after the last spot disappears. I've never lost a fish to ich this way. (y)

From aquahobby

It has been found that Ich does not infect new fish at 29.4°C/85°F (Johnson, 1976), stops reproducing at 30°C/86°F (Dr. Nick St. Erne, DVM, pers. comm.), and dies at 32°C/89.5°F (Meyer, 1984), [1]

In other words, 84 degrees will do nothing to impair the life cycle of ich.

The commonly accepted temp range is 82-86 I'd go with the higher. You can also add salt at a rate of 2 to 3 teaspoons per gallon, ich can't survive in the salt.But be careful if you have plants the salt can kill them but better the plants then the fish. Mix the salt separately in a container and add it slowly over the course of a few hours.

Have temp at 85 , always has salt from beginning with 1 tsp to 1 gallon. Did more at 3 tsp to 1 gallon
- fish stressed a bit at higher temp

bkiggy said:
Have temp at 85 , always has salt from beginning with 1 tsp to 1 gallon. Did more at 3 tsp to 1 gallon
- fish stressed a bit at higher temp

Definitely add extra aeration. If you don't have an extra air pump around then you can lower the water level a few inches, the water falling from the filter will encourage gas exchange. Hope that helps!

Also, lots of water changes and vacuum your gravel at least every other day. Is this an established tank or is the ich being brought on by unstable water conditions?

They won't eat Thera A. Soaked it in Seachem Entice. Also tried garlic guard ....... Just wants shrimp pellets
Puffer is ok still

Back
Top Bottom