Meds for internal parasites that don't have to be eaten

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kari

Aquarium Advice Activist
I was just wondering...I've been having trouble with internal parasites, as most of you probably know. The problem that I'm having now is most of the meds seem to be the kind the fish have to eat for the med to work. Some of the fish won't eat any type of the med offered. The jungle brand anti-parasite food is too hard, even when I've ground it down. The bettas and tropicals won't eat it at all. I've gotten another med called 'ultra cure px', it's some type of drops, and they're supposed to eat it, but they don't. I've tried using jungles parasite clear tabs too, and that's not working. I'm still seeing white and very light colored poo in the betta and tropical tanks. I'm kinda goin nuts here, I've spent hella money on meds at this point, I need something that's going to work. I've heard about prazi-pro, but that seems to be the same type of thing as the ultra cure px, so I don't think they'll eat that either. Is there another med for internal parasites that you just put in the water, and they don't have to eat it, other than the parasite clear tabs from jungle??

im using the parasite clear tabs from jungle now actually, you didn't have any luck with them? the last time i saw my fish's poo, it was brown, and ive been treating for 3 days now.

What type of parasites are you talking about here? Are they protozoan? If so "AquaSol" (copper sulfate) will help cure the outbreak. I recently treated with this stuff, if you need more info just let me know.

HTH

Joe

ive always heard DO NOT use copper for a med treatement, because its almost impossible to completely rid your aquarium of it.

The preferred treatment for camallanus is levamisole hydrochloride. Everyone reports 100% success. One little problem...its sale is restricted in the US. Try veterinary or farm supply stores. for dosage look here: http://www.thekrib.com/Diseases/nematodes.html
and here: http://www.inkmkr.com/Fish/CamellanusTreatment.pdf
The first is a forum with general info about experiences. The second gives more detail. A few important things: concentration varies-you may have to adjust the dosage from that listed; levamisole is not stable in basic water so <7 is crucial; post 24 hour treatment 100% water change to get rid of all remaining worms.
Good luck (you're gonna need it) :tie:

I really AM gonna need the luck, I'll be checking into each of these meds. I haven't tried any of the ones that are suggested.

AshleyNicole,
You say you'd been treating for three days when you made your post...how are you dosing? According to the directions, I should have done my water change yesterday, and added a new dose (it says wait 48 hours between doses, and I guess I'm not supposed to use it again after two doses), but I wasn't feeling well, so I'm doing that today. Some of the fish are STILL poopin white...so I'm probably gonna try something else soon. Gotta wait til I get the money, so until then, I'm gonna keep using the tabs.

Does anyone know how frequently I can use the Jungle tabs? I mean, I gave them a dose 3 days ago, and I'm going to do another dose today...it says for anchor worms, use it once a week for three weeks. I'm not sure what kind of internal parasites they are, the only signs of internal parasites are the white poo and some of the fish seem to be losing some color. Is there any way I can find out, other than going to a vet?

Thank you all for your help! :)

Aside from looking under a microscope (or the vet... if he/she will deal with aquatics), the most you can do is match symptoms, which can be a very difficult task; especially with vague symptoms being shown.

You might want to read through my post of May 30th (Internal Parasites??). Prazipro (1 teas for 20 gal treats tank for 5-7 days).

Metro works for intestinal flagellates. It can be dissolved (kind of) into water to treat the tank.

In Australia we can only get it from a vet. Flagyl is the band name I used. Kept water temp. up, 40% daily pwc's and redosed the tank daily.

Some of my fish had internal parasites about a month ago and i used the Ultra Cure PX, my fish of course wouldnt eat it. I took them out the water with a net and droped the meds directly into their mouths, this worked.

Back
Top Bottom