melafix...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cobaltskyy

Aquarium Advice Freak
Will this medicine harm healthy fish?? I have a rasbora missing half of its tail fin. I think my blue ram did it he has been chasing them so much lately im thinking about putting him in his own 10 gal....but he is quite nippy and over the weekend I put some melafix in the tank to help heal the one rasboras tail....will this harm the other fish or is it safe?

I've dosed it for fish that have had the odd injury from sorting out their status in the tank and it hasn't been to the detriment of any of the others, I'm pretty sure that it's safe.

I'm one of the few that thinks it's completely worthless and I feel it doesn't do anything clean water won't...that's mother natures best medicine.

No i don't think it will harm the other fish. But I have to agree that clean water is going to work just as well.

Hukit and Saltypuppy, would some salt in the water be beneficial, or just plain old water?

I have heard that salt can be great for ailing fish as it helps to reduce stress. Any truth to that in your experience?

Hukit and Saltypuppy, would some salt in the water be beneficial, or just plain old water?

I have heard that salt can be great for ailing fish as it helps to reduce stress. Any truth to that in your experience?

Salt is good for some parasites and french fries otherwise I don't use it for anything else, this calls for just plain pristine water conditions.

Thanks! Good to know! Too bad I wasted that $3 to put some in my rescue kit...

I have used Melafix with great success. I have used it in my 36gal with only 1 beatup fish, and a tank full of healthies... and a week of dosing fixed my fishes open wounds and the rest of the tank was just fine.

I am currently using Melafix to help my Featherfin Catfish who decided to jump outa the tank and become a land mammal for a while. I thought he was a gonner, but after 3 days of medicating him in solitation, he is still alive and eating. Although he might not look pretty, I will continue to dose for the rest of this week in hopes that he will recover. At the moment he has almost no tail, appears to be missing most of his dorsal fin along with damage to pretty much 90% of his body. Looks like a burn victim... this is 3 days after I found him on the carpet:

IMG_0019.JPG

IMG_0030.JPG

Anyhow... I wouldnt worry about dosing a healthy tank. No harm should come of it. There was speculation that MelaFix kills labyrinth fish, but I have used it to heal a pretty beatup gourami... and she is doing great today.

I have been using salt for fin damage and it has been working better then anything else. But I may have just been lucky. Mine is a tailbiter - another with rot I have been trying to treat, it helped but he is still really bad. I would try it if the rot is getting worse. If not clean water is best. :) But if you decide to use salt... tsp. Per gallon - Change water everyday (I its a small tank - to keep it nice and clean) and don't dose for more then ten days as it can cause kidney damage.

Back
Top Bottom