MelaFix

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BlazedSaint

Aquarium Advice Freak
So i Brought home 3 swordtails saturday, lastnight i lost one, however 1 of the remaining 2 has fin rot : ( poor guy : ( nasty LFS : ( insert other mean things to say here : ( lol, none the less im going to try to treat this with melafix, so i thought it might be a fun idea to keep a log of the treatment process for others in need : )

29 Gallon Biocube

Current Stock:
3 sunburst platys
3 half moon MM Platys
2 Neon Sword tails
1 Flaming Dwarf Gourami

Day one: Before any treatment

Ph: 7.4-7.5(its between the most on ph scale and least on high ph scale)
ammo: 0ppm
nitrite 0ppm
nitrate 20ppm

infected sword tail has about half of his fin missing and 1/4 of remaining fin is a white patch(rotting spot) in it

(im at work and purchased melafix at lunch, so ill be dosing as soon as i get home and will repost new readings a few hours after first treatment)

29 Gallon Biocube

Current Stock:
3 sunburst platys
3 half moon MM Platys
2 Neon Sword tails
1 Flaming Dwarf Gourami

Day one: Morning after first treatment

Ph: 7.4-7.5(its between the most on ph scale and least on high ph scale)
ammo: 0ppm
nitrite 0ppm
nitrate 20ppm

Infected Swordtail isnt showing any signs of improvement, fin looks exactly the same

Both Swordtail are active lethargic now, the none infected more than the infected

will re-dose after work and post reading after second treatment tomorrow morning

Day 3

Gourami died today discontinued use of melafix, sorry gourami I knew the risk, rolled the dice and lost

Fin rot has not advanced or subsided however both sword tails exhibit signs of bigger issues as neither will eat and both wobble to in same spot at bottom of tank

Assuming them to be close to death : (

Will never shop at that LFS again

These treatments are an insult to API, don't waste your time with it

Indeed sucks to lose an awesome flaming gourami that way too, cause that's all it did was make my water gross, require me to remove my carbon, and kill my favorite fish

HI Blazed,
If I may, let me suggest you getting Marycin and Marycin 2. One is for gram negative and the other is for gram positive bacterial infections. They are pretty effective as compared to many other "snake oil" meds that are peddled out there. For internal infections/parasites check out the medicated fishfoods from Angelsplus.com.
Good luck, OS.

HI Blazed,
If I may, let me suggest you getting Marycin and Marycin 2. One is for gram negative and the other is for gram positive bacterial infections. They are pretty effective as compared to many other "snake oil" meds that are peddled out there. For internal infections/parasites check out the medicated fishfoods from Angelsplus.com.
Good luck, OS.

agreed 100% I have angels plus med food and maracyn 2 on hand.. I also have Melafix and made the same mistake. I have since used it for injuries, but probably wasn't as helpful as the wcs I was doing.. I could maybe use it as a paper weight :/

Ty Ty I'll keep it in mind for next time after my gourami died I took the diseased sword back to the shop and got an exchange

Back
Top Bottom